Firaxis Games New IP "Civilization: Beyond Earth" Will Come To Linux - CONFIRMED
Looks like Civilization is getting a reboot and it's called "Civilization: Beyond Earth". The great news is that multiple sources are stating Linux is a platform of choice now for Firaxis.
The scope of the game just sounds massive and it's not set on Earth, it's set on an alien planet.
Sadly we aren't yet big enough to get press-releases for AAA games (Firaxis or 2K if you are watching, sort that out will you!). So, you will have to bear with me on this as it is pieced from other sites.
I have reached out to both 2K and Firaxis for proper confirmation.
It sounds like a true next-gen Civilisation with inspiration from Alpha Centauri too, along with new features like these:
- Seed the Adventure: Players will establish a cultural identity, select a leader and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft, cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet.
- Alien World: Exploring the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, mystical resources and hostile lifeforms unlike those of Earth, players will build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people.
- New Technology Web: Reflecting forward progress in an uncertain future, technology advancement will occur through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The tech web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition.
- New Quest System: Quests are infused with fiction about the planet, and will help guide players through a series of side missions that will aid in the collection of resources, upgrading units, and advancing through the game.
- New Orbital Layer: Players will build and deploy advanced military, economic and scientific satellites that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.
Due for this "fall", time to get excited folks.
UPDATE - Luckily 2K games emailed back rather quickly on this one.
To answer your question, yes, Civilization: Beyond Earth will release on Linux, as well as Windows PC.
2K PR Manager
So, there you have it. It really is coming to Linux and I have now been added to their press list, so I won't miss things and will be able to confirm right away in future.