It's great to see the developer still active on the Steam forums fixing issues and making the game perform better under Linux.
Quote Build 176695 for Serious Sam 3 is now available in beta "publicbeta", which does not require a password.
To install the beta, do this:
- locate the game (Serious Sam 3 in this case) in the Steam's "Library" panel
- right click and invoke "Properties"
- select the "Betas" tab
- choose "publicbeta"
Here are the changes:
- Fix a crash occuring when switching from camera to player spectator mode.
- Added fix for micro-stuttering issue, controlled via 'sim_iFixMicroStuttering' cvar.
- Fixed messed textures after alt-tab in some cases on Direct3D.
- Fixed performance problems with HDR buffer resizing when choosing multiplayer model in menu.
- Fixed slightly wrong haze calculation in some cases.
- Some measures to remedy jittering when waiting for vsync in D3D that happened on some machines in some cases.
- Added cvar 'd3d_bTripleBuffering' to control whether to use triple-buffering, when waiting for vertical retrace under Direct3D.
- Fixed black screen on client when joining a Last Man Standing server.
- Fixed music on DeamonTombs not being controlled by music volume.
- If corruption of official gro files is detected, application will notify Steam that it should verify application cache on next restart. This should hopefully fix any corrupted files user may have on disk.
- If corruption of workshop gro files is detected, they will be deleted so that they will be automatically redownloaded on next application start.
- Editor: Editor now includes additional *_edit.gro files containing non-finalized versions of all files that were stripped of their edit data during creation of the game. This means that the editor download is now about 700MB bigger, but it allows you to edit all meshes, animations, mechanisms, etc.
- Editor: All official content including levels is now editable and can be saved. So custom versions of official levels can be created.
- Editor: If official content from a DLC is edited and resaved, it retains its DLC license. If such content is shipped to workshop, users subscribing to it need to have that DLC installed.
- Editor: It is now possible to finalize files using the shipped editor. Finalized files will be smaller in some cases, but will lack edit data.
- Editor: If some files are missing when loading documents in editor, placeholder "default" resources will be automatically created instead of failing the load.
- Editor: Fixed rendering size and aspect issues when running test game in editor, which caused mouse cursor in menus to be rendered in wrong position and other strange issues.
- Linux: Text input in Linux now respects the current keyboard layout.
- Linux: Support for clipboard (copy/paste).
- Linux: Fixed wrong characters in Linux for comma and period keys.
- Linux: Game now tries to restore desktop resolution after fatal error.
- Linux: Stack dump is now generated when the game crashes (into the Sam3.rpt file), similar to the Windows version. Post this when reporting crashes.
- Linux: Dedicated server would not start from Steam client.
- Localizations: Updated Bulgarian.
I did a bit of co-op on the single player with my mrs, it's not bad at all, great graphics!
The online seems over the top fast though, just like all the other doom/quake style shooters online.