Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
¿Desktop in monitor and Steam on TV?
Tuxus Mar 21, 2015
Greetings.

I just bought a new graphics card and wondered how I could configure the settings to have my monitor for work and use the TV to run Steam games.
I've been testing from nVidia settings panel, but I make a mess and don't get what I want.

Can anybody help?

- Additional Information -

· GPU: nVidia GTX 970 (latest proprietary drivers)
· Screen: TFT (1280x1024) and TV (1920x1080)
Julius Mar 21, 2015
Hmm, adding a second screen (the TV) to the side off the first and moving the steam window there is not what you want?
I guess you could try those methods of running a second X server and direct its output to the TV? Never did that myself though. The laptop bumblebee stuff could be an convenient way to set that up, as it is doing that in the background.
Tuxus Mar 21, 2015
Thanks for your answer Julius.

I tried to setup nvidia-setings with 2 separate X screens (monitor and TV) and launched Steam Big Picture on the TV (console like). That worked until I tried to launch a game and it appeared on my monitor instead of TV.
¿Is there a way to make Steam open games his same screen by default?

I know that another option is set my TV as the primary display, but it'll screw my working desktop.

P.S: I liked the idea of running a second X server and direct its output to the TV, but I only have 1 GPU (my CPU is rather old).

- EDIT -

Just found a solution, in my system:
xrandr --output HDMI-0 --primary;steam -bigpicture;xrandr --output DVI-I-0 --primary

That way when I start Steam it changes the primary screen to my TV and as soon as I close it, it revert back to my monitor again.

Hope this helps!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.