Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Borderlands 2 finally playable with latest AMD driver
mao_dze_dun Mar 21, 2015
I installed the daily build of Ubuntu 15.04 tonight, as I wanted to test the beta of the latest AMD proprietary driver which is currently only available for 15.04. Borderlands 2 finally runs with 60fps, everything maxed out on my 290x. I doubt I'm the first to notice the performance improvement, but since I didn't see anybody else mentioning it, I decided to share. Please, bear in mind it's still not as good as in Windows - there are annoying frame drops which I hope they'll fix by the time of the final release. And while I'll definitely continue playing it in Windows, I can wholeheartedly recommend Linux purists who had the same problem to give it a try. It is finally in a state in which you can actually enjoy it.
Styromaniac Mar 22, 2015
I never had any problems playing it on my 5870. Must be an issue with newer graphics cards coming from AMD
mao_dze_dun Mar 22, 2015
I think it's 290 and 290x problem since they're different chips that the rest of the 2** series. Still it's nice to see the performance boost. Now if they manage to make Bioshock run with solid 60fps - I would be a happy camper.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.