Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
When a deal is too good to miss... and the regret when you realize you might never play it...
kreativt Mar 23, 2015
TL;DR: Old gamer without equipment buys Borderlands 2 and is sad because - Forever alone.

Hi all,

I am not one to post things online normally... but this community is friendly enough so, here we go!

I am a big fan of Linux, and of (older) 2K-games. My computers are not quite good enough to run... well... almost nothing at all after my laptops dedicated graphics card burned a while back. Right now my economy is a bit strained, but that should be better in the autumn so I figure I am the perfect customer for a steam machine. And so I wait. Patiently. So much waiting. In the meantime I buy games, because I have this bad habit of collecting stuff. I buy them when the deals are too good to not buy them.

Now with the 2K 10 year celebrations I thought that I really wanted to support Aspyr and buy something via Gameagent. So Borderlands 2 looked cheap and worth my money. And a nice thing to have in my Steam library. So I bought it.

Unfortunately now I am having second thoughts. See, I have no friends outside of IRL. My friends are all scientists in a very competitive area and they might be gamers... but like me they would never actually admit to spending any time doing anything else than research. It is just not okay to have a life outside of science. Also - how could a scientist have enough money to buy computers and/or computer games?!

So I have no steam-friends... and I just realized that Borderlands 2 seem to be mostly a coop game. So two things:
1. Where do you guys find Steam friends? Are all/most of your friends also friends IRL? I am kind of new "to the scene" as you might notice...
2. Can Borderlands 2 be enjoyable in SP? Can I play it alone...?

Nota bene: There is no need for comments such as "I'll play with you", since I don't actually have the equipment yet. But thanks anyway :D

/K
Samsai Mar 23, 2015
For me getting Steam friends has been pretty automatic due to my YouTube background and my work on GOL but I imagine a good way to find people to play with is to hang out on various gaming chat rooms and forums. Also joining Steam groups could help you connect with people that like the games you do. I can recommend our IRC channel (https://www.gamingonlinux.com/irc/) and https://steamlug.org/. SteamLUG frequently hosts various gaming events which are open for people to join, so that might be a nice place to start.

As for the SP in Borderlands 2, it's okay. It's definitely a lot more fun with friends but I think it's enjoyable enough even in singleplayer.
HadBabits Mar 23, 2015
I feel your pain, none of my IRL friends are PC gamers. Most of my Steam friend are folks from here, but I don't really talk to most of them; darn social anxiety :P Feel free to add me once you've got a rig up and running :)

As for BL2, if you liked the 1st you'll probably enjoy it. Personally, I never played the first and I kind of hate the second. It's nothing personal, it just does everything in a way that irritates me, and playing with friends is apparently how people have fun with it, I think. Strip that away and it's kind of a bland shooter/text-heavy mmo, imo. That said, I'd still be willing to play with a friend, haha.
Liam Dawe Mar 23, 2015
I have about 3-4 real life friends that use Steam, and zero real life friends that use Linux (forever alone...).

Generally I hang around in our IRC channel and just see if anyone fancies a game of something, and someone is usually up for it.

As for BL2, I tend to prefer it in single player, as when playing co-op people always seem to jump way ahead of me, and I miss all the funny story moments and banter between people. No one steals my bloody loot then either :D

Ps. Welcome to the forum.
kreativt Mar 24, 2015
Thank you for the comments everyone.

Quoting: SamsaiFor me getting Steam friends has been pretty automatic due to my YouTube background and my work on GOL ...

Yeah, Samsai... I am not quite as public with my online identity as you are. But I'll take this opportunity to thank you for being the awesome streamer and GOL worker that you are ^_^

Quoting: HadBabits...Feel free to add me once you've got a rig up and running :) ...

Thank you HadBabits - I might take you up on that :) Nice nick BTW. Everytime I see it I do a double take after reading "Bad habits"... don't know why

Quoting: GuestI’ve had fun playing BL2 solo for a while, but lost interest before the end of the game. I’ve played 50+ hours.

That is still a lot of hours, stan. I'll be very happy with the buy if I add up 10 enjoyable hours :)

Quoting: liamdaweI have about 3-4 real life friends that use Steam, and zero real life friends that use Linux (forever alone...).

I am rather in the opposite situation right now. I don't think I know anyone, save for my parents, who run Windows now. One Mac owner. But I know no one who even admits to playing on a console, even less on Steam. There are some of my friends who do game... but on their cellphones.

Quoting: liamdaweGenerally I hang around in our IRC channel and just see if anyone fancies a game of something, and someone is usually up for it.

As for BL2, I tend to prefer it in single player, as when playing co-op people always seem to jump way ahead of me, and I miss all the funny story moments and banter between people. No one steals my bloody loot then either :D

Ps. Welcome to the forum.

So, IRC Channel you say... interesting. I might steal that idea for later :)

I am happy to hear that BL2 might actually be prefferable in SP!

And... thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I haven't been in a forum for... years. Since the late 90's maybe. I'm a bit rusty but I'll try to stick around. I'll find the time to write my "Introduce yourself" post one of these days ;)
mao_dze_dun Mar 25, 2015
It's all a matter of taste. I loved the first Borderlands and I also immensely enjoy the second. I'm playing solo and I don't feel there is any fun lost, though I imagine co-op must be even more fun.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.