Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Budget Video Card
reyame Apr 1, 2015
Hello Everyone,
After trying Bioshock Infinite with 2 different drivers and settings i gave up. I have missing floor and leaf textures. the ground is black and the leaves glow a blueish color which kills such an amazing game.

My Current Specs are
Ubuntu 14.04
AMD APU A4 5300 (Catalyst 14.501)
Ram 4 GB

Looking at Graphics Card prices scares my wallet to no end. Im thinking a sub $150 card should get me medium 1080p(New Monitor to buy is on my list) on most games. I love amd prices but i don’t wanna deal with anymore graphic issues with my games. any recommendations and should i gave amd another chance?
Xpander Apr 1, 2015
750Ti, 760 or if you can squeez your wallet a bit more then 960

your cpu will be pretty weak anyway for some games as well as your low amount of ram.

but 750Ti is pretty good to play on medium 1080p for the most part.. and probably can run some games at high even without issue. older games would work without a issue on very high as well
Avehicle7887 Apr 1, 2015
I think currently the best card for your budget is the Nvidia GTX 750 Ti, you won't even have to change the PSU. You should be able to run most Linux games fairly well with it.

The similarly priced AMD cards aren't bad but I can't say the same with their Linux drivers.

EDIT: Unless you find a 760 for a really good price I would skip it and go for the 960. From my local store I can get the 960 about 6-10e cheaper than the 760.
Xpander Apr 1, 2015
true... i have seen 760 on sale like 30-40€ less than 960.

anyway if you buy something, do not buy reference card if you care about noise.
look something from MSI, Asus or Gigabyte.

i myself have the best experience with Asus Direct CU cooling systems.. super quiet and cool.
darkone778 Apr 1, 2015
As much as the sub 150 is ideal for most budget builds. I would personally recommend perhaps spending just a bit more, and get a EVGA 760 GTX . I know Newegg had the 256bit 4GB GDDR5 versions for just about 200USD (convert to whatever that maybe in Euros) very recently.
reyame Apr 2, 2015
Sadly I'm going to put my spree on hold since this month since it's going to be short pay wise( Damn you responsibilities). Maybe sometime end of next month I can pick it up. I waited 3 years for Bioshock Infinite a couple more months wont kill me. Good news in this being I now have a legit reason not to play Outlast (20-30 fps Low Settings) :D.

Sidenote: why was everyone assuming I live in the UK? was there a setting i missed?

Dear Linux Gaming Superman bring me Metal Gear Solid 5. Linux Superman and Kojima u own me; make it happen.
kreativt Apr 2, 2015
So... when I go drooling about graphics cards I usually go here:
Tom's hardware US, or
Toms harwdare UK, or
Tom's hardware DE

The first two have some really nice guides (with currencies adapted to their locale). For March Tom's hardware suggests as a budget pick the "GeForce GT 730 64-bit GDDR5", ca US$70, GB£90, as a good price/performance option. The guide for April is soon out. Then I'll be drooling again...

Quoting: GuestI don’t think anyone assumed you were in the UK, not sure why you’re asking this :).

Heh. I think he refers to everyone giving prices in Euro (and mixing up UK with other EU countries :) ).
reyame Apr 4, 2015
Thanks everyone. I REALLY want to splurge on a graphics card but yea I'm going to have to resist. lets say i did go with the budget GT 730 what kind of performance can I expect when it comes to BioShock and future AAA games coming to linux. In the long run I want to first upgrade the graphics card then upgrade my monitor to 22-24inch. if i could get at least 2 years out of the GT 730 that would be perfect. but that doesn’t seem likely. Should i just wait until xmas time for sales?

Quoting: kreativt
Quoting: GuestI don’t think anyone assumed you were in the UK, not sure why you’re asking this :).

Heh. I think he refers to everyone giving prices in Euro (and mixing up UK with other EU countries :) ).

Exactly.
Avehicle7887 Apr 4, 2015
Quoting: reyameThanks everyone. I REALLY want to splurge on a graphics card but yea I'm going to have to resist. lets say i did go with the budget GT 730 what kind of performance can I expect when it comes to BioShock and future AAA games coming to linux. In the long run I want to first upgrade the graphics card then upgrade my monitor to 22-24inch. if i could get at least 2 years out of the GT 730 that would be perfect. but that doesn’t seem likely. Should i just wait until xmas time for sales?

Don't waste your money like that, a GT 730 has like half the strength of the 750 Ti, they mostly come with 1GB Ram and it's only GDDR3 not GDDR5. You'd be better wait and get a decent one later.
reyame Apr 5, 2015
Quoting: Avehicle7887
Quoting: reyameThanks everyone. I REALLY want to splurge on a graphics card but yea I'm going to have to resist. lets say i did go with the budget GT 730 what kind of performance can I expect when it comes to BioShock and future AAA games coming to linux. In the long run I want to first upgrade the graphics card then upgrade my monitor to 22-24inch. if i could get at least 2 years out of the GT 730 that would be perfect. but that doesn’t seem likely. Should i just wait until xmas time for sales?

Don't waste your money like that, a GT 730 has like half the strength of the 750 Ti, they mostly come with 1GB Ram and it's only GDDR3 not GDDR5. You'd be better wait and get a decent one later.

Thanks I will just hold out for the 750 Ti. I hoped the AMD driver would catch up to nvidia by the time i wanted to get a graphics card instead of depending on my APU. But hey here is hoping that will happen by the time my grand kids are ready to build a computer.....no rush
oldrocker99 Apr 7, 2015
The 750ti is faster than the 650ti and uses 42% of the power, drawing all the power it needs (60W) from the PCI-E slot.

I love mine.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.