Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
are there any decent free to play mmo's? native to linux
kaitlin4599 Jun 21, 2015
hello not new to linux having used Lubuntu 15.04 vivid for the past month i am how ever new to linux gaming. so im wondering are there any decent free to play MMO's or MMORPG's that have native linux clients so far all i have heard of is runescape but thats not Free to play any ideas
Xpander Jun 21, 2015
MMOS: War Thunder, Star Conflict, Robocraft
MMORPGs: Champions of Regnum (its super grindy though), Spiral Knights, Albion Online (in beta)

ones that work great using wine: Neverwinter Online, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Fallen Earth, Everquest 2, Runes of Magic etc.
kaitlin4599 Jun 21, 2015
Quoting: XpanderMMOS: War Thunder, Star Conflict, Robocraft
MMORPGs: Champions of Regnum (its super grindy though), Spiral Knights, Albion Online (in beta)

ones that work great using wine: Neverwinter Online, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Fallen Earth, Everquest 2, Runes of Magic etc.

i have yet to get star trek online to work properly if at all
khalismur Aug 1, 2015
Old, but in case you are still interested.

Upcoming indie MMORPG from the creator of Ultima Online: Shroud of the Avatar - still alpha but pretty good.

Old and pure gold total sandbox MMORPG with a great european community: Ryzom - this game is still alive and kicking, I've played it on and off for many years...

Standard MMORPG with native client but pretty crowded and fun too: Eldevin - I gave up this one after a while because of Ryzom.
Speedster Aug 1, 2015
Shroud of the Avatar requires an initial purchase, so it's not free to play. I think it's going to be worth it though. No monthly fees, just paying for content.

Also still in alpha, and a real free-to-play -- Stash: No Loot Left Behind http://frogdice.com/stash/
That one is more inspired by RPG board games than in the style of typical MMORPGs, and also has a bunch of developers that love to do role-playing and hang out in the game with players (like IMMs in old fashioned muds, which is their background).
khalismur Aug 5, 2015
Hey, I didn't know about Stash, thanks!

I also forgot Istaria - www.istaria.com.
Is pretty fun and complex but the population is somewhat low. Crafting is deep and awesome and Istaria has playable dragons, which are actually fun.

I guess the better looking one is Ryzom, as it will soon release some more content and will be available through Steam, which will bring even more new players.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.