You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Jonathan Blow: "Linux is not robust or stable for games. And it's been getting worse lately."
sub Jun 30, 2015
Jonathan Blow - Braid, The Witness (upcoming) - on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/615910640083865600

This kind of heavily biased statements of highly regarded developers are making me sad.
Especially since they have quite some influence, not only judging by the follower count.

I tell you: We will hear more of this whining when Valve starts convincing lots of new developers
to release for SteamOS/Linux.
Of course, if you don't share the love for a platform you might find lots of anecdotal evidence
to present that the platform is crap. But this is actually true for any platform, isn't it?

Also:
Quoting: "Jonathan Blow"For me to support Linux, first Linux people need to supportLinux, which they don't know how to do.
Aryvandaar Jul 5, 2015
You can ship libraries with your game, so it would be much more stable, and this isn't a huge issue because libraries in Linux are pretty small.

It's also worth considering that a lot people have problems with games on Windows, and those problems aren't neccesarily related to problems with the game code. In many cases it's because of other problems in the system.

If Linux is in working condition, it's in working condition.

If Windows is in working condition, soon it won't be and you can't stop it, only fix it.

Developers should stop pretending like Windows is problem free.
StianTheDark Jul 6, 2015
Practically, they're only complaining because they won't open-source their games and allow the community to fix it. Everything would be so much better if everything was open-source, but unfortunately it's not yet that way. But considering I've spent countless hours entangled in 0 AD, I really think closed-source will be frowned upon soon. Not now, but soon.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.