Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Wine, sometimes useful.
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
dubigrasu Aug 19, 2015
Quoting: tuxisagamerI just log out of Steam 4 Linux when I launch Steam for Windows.

Quoting: dubigrasu
Quoting: HoriI just want to know if the achievements will still work if I use bypassed launchers, and also the playtime counter.
Yes and no :)
In order for this to work I have two Steam clients running at the same time, the main Linux client and a Windows one running in the background.
(that's only for the Windows game's duration).
The problem is that I (user Dubigrasu) can't go online with both clients on the same machine, so for the Windows client I have setup another user.

So the respective user gets all the achievements for those Windows games.
I haven't bother much with finding a better solution (a different IP address for Wine?) for this because I can live with 2 users, but it might be an issue for others.
If you use the clients separately is not a problem, but I'm launching the Windows games in the SteamOS session, so one of the clients needs to be offline/another user/another IP.
throgh Aug 20, 2015
WINE sometimes useful? WINE is everytime useful when there is no native port available. There are many games running out of the box and I don't understand sometimes the arguments against WINE. From my point of view there is no reason for this. Besides: There will be no port for my favorite games System Shock 2 or for example the old Thief. Both are running with no further problems, even using modifications. :)
Mountain Man Sep 24, 2015
If it wasn't for Wine, I would have had to give up my Diablo 3 addiction when I deleted my Window's partition.
neowiz73 Sep 25, 2015
since the whole steam family sharing was started you can now login on 2 different clients from the same IP now. or at least it works for me anyway :) I have 2 separate machines in my house on my account at the same time multiple times now. you have to do this in order to get the streaming to work. I've already ran some older windows games on an older windows 7 system that I have in the house and streamed them to my linux system :) quite nifty.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.