Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
[Fixed] Why Are All News Entries' Titles Like This? And not like this?
khalismur Aug 1, 2015
Hello Folks

I have been around reading the news from GoL for a pretty long time but just now decided to post something here...
It started bothering me a while ago and it is truly non-sense to have the initial letter from every word in article titles capitalized. Why is this so? Doesn't It Look Much Better The Other Way? This Way We Cannot Differentiate Fast Enough Between Names, Companies, Adverbs, And All Other Grammatical Entities. Please Make GoL More Readable!! ;-)

Cheers
Khalismur
Liam Dawe Aug 1, 2015
As all editors come from different backgrounds, so it's easier to have a standard for titles. Before it wash a mish-mash of everyone capitalising differently for titles.

It's also a title, not part of sentence, so it can have its own structure.

This will not change.
khalismur Aug 1, 2015
Quoting: liamdaweAs all editors come from different backgrounds, so it's easier to have a standard for titles. Before it wash a mish-mash of everyone capitalising differently for titles.

It's also a title, not part of sentence, so it can have its own structure.

This will not change.
I just don't see why it is so hard to have a standard where only the first word or names of games, companies or titles have their first letters capitalized.

Such a pity that you won't even consider a change. I know of no other news site that uses This Strange Standard...
Liam Dawe Aug 2, 2015
Here's other sites that use it:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/
http://www.gamespot.com/
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/

And many more.

Sorry, but I like it, and it won't be changed, but we appreciate the feedback.
melkemind Aug 2, 2015
Actually, capitalizing the first letter in every word of a headline is pretty standard for English-language news sources. I'm a librarian, so I've seen plenty. When we enter titles into catalogs, we only capitalize the first letter, but that's a standard set for consistency in computer cataloging.

In journalism, the AP style guide says to capitalize all "principal words" as well as prepositions and conjunctions of "four or more letters." Some news agencies use their own style guides, and of course, some website writers might be more comfortable with academic style guides like MLA, APA or Chicago.
khalismur Aug 5, 2015
Ok you both have proven me it's widely used.
I still think it looks terrible. But maybe that's because my mother tongue is german, where rules are very strict about upper case !
Rutine Aug 5, 2015
Quoting: khalismurOk you both have proven me it's widely used.
I still think it looks terrible. But maybe that's because my mother tongue is german, where rules are very strict about upper case !
I think it looks terrible too. But probably because in french we have also pretty strict rules about upper case too :)
khalismur Mar 10, 2016
Thanks for changing the titles!
Looks Much Better Now, Right? :-))
Samsai Mar 10, 2016
Lots of necromancers on the forums recently...
StianTheDark Mar 10, 2016
I think it looks awful too. In Norwegian we just have one word group which uses capital letters, names. I actually find it pretty annoying. Look at [url=cnn.com]CNN[/url]. They use normal capitalization ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.