Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Games exclusively available for Linux
gbudny Aug 1, 2015
Hi

I read the news about the game Don't Be Patchman at www.gamingonlinux.com, and I noticed some comments about the availability of this game only for Linux on Steam.
I remember that six years ago, Entourev LLC published Voltley which is probably the first commercial game available only for Linux. This company have never published any other games to Linux, and the majority of Linux users do not know about the existence of this game. From the historical point of view, I thought that could be the really interesting news for Linux users.

http://www.entourevllc.com/product.php?id=0001&content=demo

This is kind of the interesting fact in the history of games for Linux:

1994 Doom - the first commercial game for Linux.
1996 Inner Worlds the first commercial game mostly developed on Linux.
1998 Hopkins FBI - the fist commercial game in the box version.
1998 Civilization call to power - the first commercial game available for Linux Alpha, PPC, and Sparc.
2001 Sin - the first commercial game available in the box version for Linux PPC.
2003 Candy Cruncher - the first commercial game available in the box version for Linux Sparc.
2004 I am not sure if the ut2004 was the first commercial game published on the DVD disk.
2005 Soul Ride - the first commercial game available in the box version for Linux Alpha.
2009 Voltley - the first commercial game that was exclusively available for Linux.
2009 Shadowgrounds - the first commercial game for Linux that was using the Nvidia PhysX middleware.
2015 Don't Be Patchman - The first game on Steam to be available only to Linux
etc.
dubigrasu Aug 2, 2015
Hopkins FBI, I played that one :)
gbudny Aug 2, 2015
Quoting: dubigrasuHopkins FBI, I played that one :)

It was the great game. Unfortunately, now people have to be really lucky to find the cd with this game.

I still see some classics games from the '90s for Linux on eBay, amazon etc.

Unfortunately, digital versions of many classic games for Linux disappeared from the internet at the moment when producer closed the website or abandoned the version for Linux.
Avehicle7887 Aug 2, 2015
I think you may be right about UT2004. I bought the DVD version many years ago and it came with the Linux version. Not that I knew much about Linux back then but it was the first game on Disc that it had the Penguin logo.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.