Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Forcing 60fps cap for games with Nvidia hardware
Spl-it Aug 23, 2015
Does anyone know how to force a 60FPS cap for games using Nvidia hardware ?
I do have Sync to VBlank enable in the drivers, it doesn't do anything to limit FPS for games.

I used the following xorg.conf options:

the device section:
Option "UseEdidFreqs" "false"

the screen section:
Option "metamodes" "1920x1080_60 +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
Option "RegistryDwords" "OGL_MaxFramesAllowed=0x0; EnableBrightnessControl=1"

I also tried the following in the monitor section:
VertRefresh 50.0 - 60.0 <-- reduced the max to 60

But none of it seems to work.

The problem shows up as soon as games run at more than 60FPS, the game starts stuttering all over the place and it generally becomes an unpleasant experience. I also tried launching games with __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1, that doesn't do anything either.

I'm not trying to do anything Vsync related, I just want to force a 60FPS cap for games, anyone else have these issues ?

*EDIT- Im using Nvidia driver version 352.30, and the GTX680 card
I'm running Arch linux
The problem happens in all DE's for example XCFE, i3, Plasma,Gnome, regardless of compositing manager running or not
Xpander Aug 23, 2015
compton(compton --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc) + vsync enabled from games works for me

make sure flipping is also enabled from nvidia-settings
Avehicle7887 Aug 23, 2015
What games are you trying to run?

I have a similar problem with VSync and Wine, I can't limit my fps for Wine games that don't have an internal/built in VSync option or FPS limiter. Been trying to achieve this for months, tried various DE's and nothing.

I've tried pretty much everything you've listed above with no avail, even installed RivaTuner and limited the fps, still no effect.
Spl-it Aug 23, 2015
For some reason compton runs terrible on my system. No matter what settings I use I even end up with the desktop stuttering all over the place. ( I did disable any other compositing managers before running compton).
Flipping is enabled in the nvidia-settings.

I get this problem on pretty much any game I try, the only games that don't give me any trouble are Distance and Planetary Annihilation ( these games are basically stuck at 60FPS and play buttery smooth) and the very very few games that play nice with Vsync enabled.

For example Victor Vran, If I enable Vsync the game locks to 30FPS.
If I disable Vsync the game runs at about 80ish FPS and stutters all over the place.
There are places in the game that run at 60FPS, these places play very smooth. As soon as the frame rate goes up the stuttering returns
Xpander Aug 23, 2015
its weird .. i dont have any stuttrering problems and i dont usualy limit my fps to 60 or use vsync
i just run nvidias { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On } to remove tearing and thats about it

xfwm here.

had weird stuttering in UT pre-alpha though but adding __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 fixed it.. buttery smooth 80+ fps with all ultra like that.. while without it it was all over the place from 25-110 fps
Guest Aug 24, 2015
Quoting: Xpanderits weird .. i dont have any stuttrering problems and i dont usualy limit my fps to 60 or use vsync
i just run nvidias { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On } to remove tearing and thats about it

xfwm here.

had weird stuttering in UT pre-alpha though but adding __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 fixed it.. buttery smooth 80+ fps with all ultra like that.. while without it it was all over the place from 25-110 fps

but thats xfwm4 not compton. they are different compositors. I have simular issues with Marco for MATE. The answer for me is to either run compiz or kwin.
Spl-it Aug 27, 2015
I ended up removing the changes I made to xorg.conf.
I installed the plasma desktop, Kwin handles vsync a lot better than anything I ever tried.
The stuttering is a lot less now... but it's still there
Guest Sep 3, 2015
Quoting: Spl-itI ended up removing the changes I made to xorg.conf.
I installed the plasma desktop, Kwin handles vsync a lot better than anything I ever tried.
The stuttering is a lot less now... but it's still there

What settings do you have for Kwin ? there is a bug on kwin spanning a few years now with nvidia, I stumbled across a fix. You have to set your scale method to "smooth" ( not accurate ) then apply full scene repaints. You can either disable vsync for fullscreen or not, but its actually no different kwin as you say is probably the best compositor for this.

also add: Option "TripleBuffer" "1"

to the screen section in x.conf
wolfyrion Sep 5, 2015
"try this"

gedit /etc/profile

"add on top these line"

export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"
export KDE_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

"it doesn't limit fps but you will not have any shuttering for sure"
Spl-it Sep 17, 2015
bit late but..

nothing seems to work :D
My games are still happily stuttering all over the place... oh well
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.