Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Steam Controller in terms of support
RichieEB Nov 15, 2015
This is probably a stupid question but would Steam Controller be considered supported as well as the Xbox 360 Controller? For games in general you know, I know its new but eh I don't know how these things work.

As I plan on using Steam Controller or Xbox 360 for the two upcoming triple a racing games in future.
Liam Dawe Nov 15, 2015
If a game has native gamepad support, then a Steam Controller should work just fine. Especially for racing games, when you would only need the triggers to go/stop, a button for handbrake and the stick to steer. I tried mine in DiRT Showdown and it was perfection.
StianTheDark Nov 15, 2015
Does GOG games work with the Steam controller, or is Valve being a dick and making sure that it's exclusive to Steam games?
ricki42 Nov 15, 2015
Quoting: StianTheDarkDoes GOG games work with the Steam controller, or is Valve being a dick and making sure that it's exclusive to Steam games?

I think kernel 4.3 has drivers for the controller, for other kernels you have to have Steam running for the controller to work, and you need to be in Big Picture Mode to configure it (you could also edit file with the default mapping I guess). You can add your GOG games to Steam though. I've been playing some Witcher (GOG version) recently, added the PlayOnLinux launcher to Steam, customized the configuration, actually works quite well with the controller.
supermonkey77 Nov 15, 2015
Quoting: liamdaweIf a game has native gamepad support, then a Steam Controller should work just fine. Especially for racing games, when you would only need the triggers to go/stop, a button for handbrake and the stick to steer. I tried mine in DiRT Showdown and it was perfection.

If you want a challenge you should map the left touch pad as a virtual steering wheel. Once you get used to it it is pretty epic. Reminds me of the special joypad you could get for Ridge Racer 4 on the Playstation.
RichieEB Nov 16, 2015
Thanks for the replies, really appreciated considering on getting the controller, stupid question would I need the steam machine in order for the controller to work properly as I just want the controller?
tuubi Nov 16, 2015
Quoting: RichieEB[...] would I need the steam machine in order for the controller to work properly as I just want the controller?
No. You need Steam to configure the controller but SteamOS is optional, and Steam Machines are simply PCs running SteamOS.
RichieEB Nov 21, 2015
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: RichieEB[...] would I need the steam machine in order for the controller to work properly as I just want the controller?
No. You need Steam to configure the controller but SteamOS is optional, and Steam Machines are simply PCs running SteamOS.

Yeah I plan on using Steam only for gaming so that is no issue, just wondering how good it is in comparison to Xbox 360 controller to mainly racing games. Anyone got a steam controller yet and played a racing game?
melkemind Nov 29, 2015
Quoting: RichieEB[Yeah I plan on using Steam only for gaming so that is no issue, just wondering how good it is in comparison to Xbox 360 controller to mainly racing games. Anyone got a steam controller yet and played a racing game?

I've used it on racing games. It works perfectly for me. I haven't even picked up my Xbox 360 controller since I got the Steam Controller.
Xpander Nov 29, 2015
we dont have much racing games for linux sadly. but works fine on Dirt Showdown and Distance - and im not really a controller person but i get along with steam controller much better than with xbone or ps4 one
RichieEB Nov 30, 2015
Quoting: Xpanderwe dont have much racing games for linux sadly. but works fine on Dirt Showdown and Distance - and im not really a controller person but i get along with steam controller much better than with xbone or ps4 one

I figured out my issue I had, I basically knew the error but I just wasn't thinking properly it was just a usergroup error permission. After I fixed it from help online the Steam Controller and 360 worked marvellous ;).

Now I never need to go on Windows for controller fun. Thanks for all the replies in response.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.