Tower Of Guns crackling sound problem
Kam Nov 30, 2015
I've bought Tower Of Guns on gog, some weeks before, it works well except for the sound.

All sounds in the game , music and VFX are crackling, i can hear the sound allright, but with some cracks in it.
I'm Using ArchLinux, with native Alsa.

I've posted my issue here on gog and here on steam community but no answer yet.

In a linux way, i've tried using my own library instead of the ones provided by the game, but concerning the one that probably causes problems libSDL2_mixer.so, using the one from my system crash the game with (an obvious) unresolved symbol bug.

Being a programmer myself, i understand why i must use the lib they provide, however i can't see how to fix the issue.

I tried using pulseaudio bridge but it did not changed anything.
Xpander Nov 30, 2015
is it a unity4 game? cause some of those have had issues for me also.
what have been helpful for this... open up pavucontrol or your regular pulseaudio volume preferences
and somehow crackling goes away... dont really know whats the deal there
Skully Dec 1, 2015
Well i had no sound in the game at all until I deleted these 2 files supplied with the game. "libogg.so and libvorbis.so" So now the game uses my systems version of those files and sound works fine. Maybe it will fix your crackles too.

@xpander it's an unreal3/udk game.
Kam Dec 1, 2015
@xpander : as Skully said, it's a unreal3 game. i tried changing stuff in alsamixer without effect. i am not using pulseaudio.

@stan, you're right, i mistyped, the library i tried not to use was sdl2_mixer, but using the one from my system failed.
I will take a look to writing a wrapper, but i am not an expert with lib preloading, nor ever used sdl2_mixer.
I'm happy not being alone with this bug.

I will send a note to the game dev about the chunk size with a link to this thread, hope that it will fix it.

@skully : I've already seen this fix trick, but sadly it has no effect with me.
GloW May 11, 2016
please remove.
Kam May 11, 2016
fixed by loading the game via steam, as a non-steam product.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.