Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Small Build (Help wanted)
fredrikfritte Feb 9, 2016
So, really wanna build my own Linux rig (Ubuntu) but in a small box that fits nicely on the desk.
Could you help me out with parts, wich is a no go and so on for Linux.

Not gonna game hardcore but wanna be able to follow the development for Linux gaming.
Gfx card is a important part, not wanna end up with borked driver installs and stuff like that.

Might post some links here to a site called Komplett.se they have all you need.
Guess you can manouver around, its in swedish.
So please help me make my computer for Linuxing :D
fredrikfritte Feb 9, 2016
https://www.komplett.se/product/793319/datorutrustning/paketerbjudande/pc-i-delar-intel/pc-i-delar-mini-itx-gamer#

Package deal, l like the chassi..clean.

Dont know about the power, such a noob
Xpander Feb 9, 2016
Sounds good, though i would suggest some more ram, 8GB is quite a limit already for some Triple A games
fredrikfritte Feb 10, 2016
Yeah, will look into it more.
might be able to change
Xpander Feb 10, 2016
is it too much to go with this? https://www.komplett.se/product/793073/datorutrustning/paketerbjudande/pc-i-delar-intel/pc-i-delar-core-i5-4690k-gtx960

and then add 8GB more

i think that 4690k is better cpu, better overclocking capabilities if you need more power in the future
tuubi Feb 10, 2016
Quoting: Xpanderis it too much to go with this? https://www.komplett.se/product/793073/datorutrustning/paketerbjudande/pc-i-delar-intel/pc-i-delar-core-i5-4690k-gtx960
That fractal design case is huge. The parts are not to scale in the image which might understandably throw you off a bit. And an unlocked CPU isn't likely to be of much use for someone who calls himself a noob. It is a better CPU though, even without the K.
Xpander Feb 10, 2016
ahh yeah my bad, i totally overlooked the message about how small he wants :)
fredrikfritte Feb 10, 2016
Cheers for the answers guys.
Guess that package will do then, will probably be an untouched Ubuntu that i install on it, probably not the LTS ones cause of Kernel staleness :) dont know if thats a word
tuubi Feb 10, 2016
Quoting: fredrikfritteCheers for the answers guys.
Guess that package will do then, will probably be an untouched Ubuntu that i install on it, probably not the LTS ones cause of Kernel staleness :) dont know if thats a word
Ubuntu provides official packages for reasonably recent kernels, X.org and firmware to all supported LTS releases. Personally I run Mint 17.3 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) with 4.2.0-27, available out of the box in the Mint Update Manager's kernels dialog. They call this the LTS Hardware Enablement Stack or something.

But maybe you need something even more recent for some special reason?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.