You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Introduce Yourself!
Page: «6/23»
  Go to:
MrOrange Aug 30, 2014
Hello i'm MrOrange from Italy. I like very much everything that concerns linux and gaming, so here i am :).
seven Aug 31, 2014
hi, i'm bart from belgium :)
i was born 43 years ago and started my computer experience on a commodore 64 then a hiatus caused by parties, booze and ladies (u know what i'm talking about)
I got back into pc's and gaming with windows 98 which i totally got bored with after a month.installed red hat in 2002 followed by mandrake and open suse. open suse i used for more then 6 years (its an awesome distro). ubuntu followed after that and arch for about two years. and now im back to fedora
been gaming since 1979 (cheap console stuff with 4 games on it) and it never stopped (except for the party hiatus)
I always dual booted for my gaming needs but within lets say a year and a half from now that will stop. permanently
Cimeryd Sep 1, 2014
Sooo...since I've apparently not done this already, let's get it over with.

29 from Norway. I've dabbled with Linux since Mandrake was the top dog, and have marveled at Knoppix and later Mepis who could run an OS off a CD. Even so, it wasn't until spring of 2014 that I started seriously running it. (Side note, we need to stop saying Linux is great because it can run on older hardware. I installed Linux on all my computers when they got old and slow, then got angry that they didn't get fast and new again.) In January my Jolla phone arrived and with it I got curious about Linux again, bought a laptop and went distro-hopping.

Now I'm as into this as I could be. Between Steam and all the wonderful software in the repos, I now have but two things I actually use and can't do well on this computer. WoW needs better hardware, Netflix needs a better company policy. Both are subscriptions I am questioning now.

So that's me in a nutshell, unable to stay on topic for even the slightest post.
Speedster Sep 1, 2014
Quoting: Cimeryd(Side note, we need to stop saying Linux is great because it can run on older hardware. I installed Linux on all my computers when they got old and slow, then got angry that they didn't get fast and new again.) In January my Jolla phone arrived and with it I got curious about Linux again, bought a laptop and went distro-hopping.

That's so cool about the Jolla phone catching your interest -- I've got a friend who has been installing SailfishOS himself on a nexus http://vctlabs.com/posts/2014/Jun/30/sailfish_prerelease/
but as far as I know, we can't buy Jolla phones yet in the U.S.

About running Linux on old computers: it really does work, but it's a pretty different install than on recent computers. Stay away from typical Mint or Ubuntu, while Lubuntu or LXDE on debian is a possibility https://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Lubuntu_vs_Xubuntu but Puppy Linux will almost certainly run well http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MinimumSystemRequirements
flesk Sep 1, 2014
Quoting: CimerydWoW needs better hardware, Netflix needs a better company policy. Both are subscriptions I am questioning now.

I've struggled a bit getting Netflix to work on Linux myself since it became available in Norway a couple of years ago. When I switched to Kubuntu 14.04 a few weeks ago I found this handy PPA and tutorial that handles everything from getting Silverlight to run with pipelight to setting a Windows User Agent in an instance of Firefox, that should make Netflix very easy to use on Debian based distros. I had it up and running in about 5 minutes at least.
Cimeryd Sep 1, 2014
Quoting: flesk
Quoting: CimerydWoW needs better hardware, Netflix needs a better company policy. Both are subscriptions I am questioning now.
I've struggled a bit getting Netflix to work on Linux myself since it became available in Norway a couple of years ago. When I switched to Kubuntu 14.04 a few weeks ago I found this handy PPA and tutorial that handles everything from getting Silverlight to run with pipelight to setting a Windows User Agent in an instance of Firefox, that should make Netflix very easy to use on Debian based distros. I had it up and running in about 5 minutes at least.
Silverlight is a terrible solution, but I can understand why they would go with that. What really ***es me off though is that you need Windows User Agent or they will simply deny you service. It's not even about not supporting Linux at that point, it's about actively blocking it. That makes me really question whether I want to give this company any more of my money. Thus they need a better company policy.
Crash Oct 9, 2014
Hi! My name is Ryan, but you can call me Crash.

When I built my Gaming PC back in 2013, I purchased Windows 8. After getting the blue screen of death multiple times I contacted tech support where I was told that my EVGA Video Card was not supported and would not be supported, and that I'd have to buy a new one. Given this wasn't the first time I had been shafted by Microsoft, I started looking for new options. Long story short I stumbled upon Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and haven't booted Windows since.

I left all of my Windows friends behind. I also opted out of Consoles with the most recent generation - and left those friends, too. Now I'm a gamer, in the first year of using Steam, with relatively no friends to play with. I've been coming to GOL for about a year now. The community seems pretty cool so I'm hoping to meet some cool people to play with.

I'm running 14.04.1 LTS and I only play Native Linux games. My favourite games are:
  • Sid Meier's Civilizations V

• FTL: Faster Than Light

• XCOM: Enemy Unknown

• Metro: Last Light (I bought both Redux, just waiting)

• Left4Dead2

• Starbound

• Minecraft

I also just got my hands on the Valve Complete Pack. Haven't played much, but everything is downloaded and ready.
HadBabits Oct 9, 2014
Quoting: CrashI left all of my Windows friends behind. I also opted out of Consoles with the most recent generation - and left those friends, too. Now I'm a gamer, in the first year of using Steam, with relatively no friends to play with. I've been coming to GOL for about a year now. The community seems pretty cool so I'm hoping to meet some cool people to play with.

Welcome to the GOL community, Crash :) Feel free to add me on Steam; and if you link your Steam account to your GOL profile it would be much easier for others to add you.
Crash Oct 9, 2014
Oops! I signed up with steam so I thought I'd already be linked. Fixed that.
loknar Oct 11, 2014
Hi! I'm 30 and from Germany.

First tangled with Linux back in the late 90s. Spend ages getting my hardware to work under Slackware. After that i went back to Windows for my desktop and just used Debian for servers.
Tried Ubuntu/Debian a few years ago and really liked it, but didn't get rid of the Windows partition until this year.

I'm having a blast with Borderlands 2 and would be up for some coop action during the weekends. The other multiplayer game i enjoy is Quake Live, which unfortunately has to be played through wine.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.