Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Introduce Yourself!
Page: «7/23»
  Go to:
nspacestd Oct 14, 2014
Hi! I'm 19 and I'm an university student from Italy.

I discovered Linux a couple of years ago when I bought a magazine which came with an openSUSE cd. After two years or so of distro-hopping I've finally settled on Arch, and so far I really like it. I still have a Windows partition on my gaming rig, but I think I'll ditch that some day... Who knows?

My favourite games (in no particular order): Battlefield 3, Mass Effect series, Batman: Arkham series, HL2, BioShock series, Crysis (the first one), Star Wars: KotOR, Civ5.
Vissy Oct 24, 2014
Hi I'm Shaun C, 30 from Canada.

I love all gaming basically, especially strat games like Civilization.

Add me on Steam if you want to. Steam Name: Vissy

Now off to play some Development build Rust! Hopefully I don't get murdered immediately.
Avehicle7887 Nov 2, 2014
Hello everyone, my name's Jonathan, 27 from Malta.

I'm a Computer Technician (and an all around IT enthusiast), I've been interested in Linux ever since I was around 16-17, at the time I couldn't accept Linux as my main OS. I was young back then, I wanted to play video games and there weren't much for Linux at the time so I abandoned my hopes for a short while.

5 months ago I installed Linux Mint and started practicing in a virtual machine. I've broken the system many times and reinstalled it, except this time I didn't give up. Long story short, 1 month later here I am running Linux Mint 17 as my OS, for some time I kept my Windows partition but after like 2 weeks I realized I never use it, even for gaming, so there was no point in keeping it. I can't see myself going back to Windows.

I've been visiting GOL frequently every day but only signed up a few minutes ago, the community here looks nice, I think I'm going to enjoy it here.

I like RPG games the most but don't mind some FPS or Strategy games once in a while, currently playing Pier Solar.
GolgiApparatus Nov 3, 2014
Hi everyone,
I have been using Linux for a little over four years now. Like many people, I discovered Linux after getting a Blue Screen of Death on Windows XP and having to wait 2 weeks for Dell to send me the installation disc. I Googled Linux and soon found out that there was a plethora of operating systems available with Ubuntu being the most popular at the time. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu and I've been using Linux ever since. I still have a Windows partition on my computer but I can't remember when the last time was that I booted into it.

I'm currently the video game review guy for Ubuntu's Full Circle Magazine, which means that I'm always gaming on linux. I've been using this website for a while but I just recently signed up.
Whenever possible I prefer playing Linux native games without having to use emulation of any sort (for example WINE). But of course, if I have to resort to that, then I do.

I'm currently playing:
  • The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition
  • Prison Architect alpha 26
  • Borderlands 2

astropup Nov 17, 2014
Hi guys and hi Liam. :)

I've been reading GOL for years now, but didn't register till today. :)

I have been a Linux user since 2000/2001. Nowadays I run what fits me the best - Slackware. I did distro-hop few years back, but settled since then.

I play both modern and retro games. I mostly play single player games and I like the games with the story. I don't shy away from WINE or dosbox and use them often.

I play and support FOSS games too. For example, I am a big fan of Wesnoth. :)
psychoamericana Dec 2, 2014
Hi all!

I found GOL about 4 months ago and have read all of the articles I could since. I've been a gamer since my parents purchased my Commodore 64, which I got in 1983-ish? I still have it and all of the floppy's and tapes I ever owned but I don't turn it on anymore, it is too BASIC... Can't get the Bluray's to play in the magnetic tape drive for some reason. I've been a computer tech since the late 90's but recently hung up the loafers due to increasing complications with schizophrenia and the ability to work around people without hallucinating. I'll be turning 43 in this cold month of December, and will be praying to the penguin gods for more great releases over the winter.

I have been using a really slow (comparatively) AMD 64 X2 4400+ until about two weeks ago when I finally upgraded to a nice (and cheap) Intel Pentium 3258 Anniversary Edition. It's not a powerhouse, but it works well for the games I play. Moving to Linux full time has been mostly positive, but sometimes I miss the simple mindlessness of Windblows, particularly getting the nVidia proprietary drivers to work easily. Over the years I have tried a 'lot' of distributions (waiting for Linux gaming to take off really) and have settled in on Kubuntu because I really love KDE (can't wait for Plasma 5 to become stable), but I'm going to try Manjaro, Mageia, and SteamOS soon. Looking at Devuan as a positive replacement as well once they get it together.

As I previously stated, I'm schizophrenic and no longer work full time, so I have plenty of time to play games now. Civilization 5 being ported over was the final Antarctic feather that broke Redmond's back for me. I have over 2,000 hours playing that game and still play it at least once a week so I can finally beat 'Deity' mode! I play all sorts of strategy games and the occasional kill 'em all type games like Borderlands 2. I also love racing, MMO's and RPG's, but haven't tried to play any on Linux yet. Yes, I am crazy, nuts, bonkers, off my rocker, wiggety-wack, mentally disturbed, looney, psychotic, deranged, and a little bit of a weirdo head case, but I'm a fairly nice guy and try to keep my head in reality as much as possible. I'm not sensitive to the name calling and have learned to deal with the stigma and stereotypes over the many years I've had this wonderful condition.

I hope to continue seeing the wonderful journalism going on here, and will probably throw in my oddball two cent comments here and there. You can check my profile for my Steam account info and Twitter account stuff as well. You can add me as a friend if you so desire, but I mostly just play games off-line these days. Until Project Cars comes full on penguin mode anyway! Multi-player racing is much more enjoyable to me. :)

See all your bbs style typing soon!

Tom, aka PsychoAmericana
Speedster Dec 3, 2014
Quoting: psychoamericanaI'm not sensitive to the name calling and have learned to deal with the stigma and stereotypes over the many years I've had this wonderful condition.

It stinks that you've had to -- as if coping with hallucinations weren't enough. A couple of people close to me had temporary episodes of delusions triggered by (legally prescribed) prescription meds, and it was quite nightmarish. I don't think you'll find any of that disrespect around here though; Liam likes to use his supreme mod powers to keep things friendly!
psychoamericana Dec 4, 2014
Quoting: SpeedsterIt stinks that you've had to -- as if coping with hallucinations weren't enough. A couple of people close to me had temporary episodes of delusions triggered by (legally prescribed) prescription meds, and it was quite nightmarish. I don't think you'll find any of that disrespect around here though; Liam likes to use his supreme mod powers to keep things friendly!

Sorry about those close people! Not knowing that a prescribed medication is going to cause these delusions is completely frightening! Knowing it is going to be an issue is one thing, you can expect it day in, day out. I am happy knowing my medications are prescribed to avoid delusions and hallucinations. Anyway, thanks for the welcoming!
Speedster Dec 5, 2014
Quoting: psychoamericanaI've been a gamer since my parents purchased my Commodore 64, which I got in 1983-ish?

Oh yeah I forgot to ask... Infocom fan???? How about original Bard's Tale?
psychoamericana Dec 6, 2014
Quoting: SpeedsterOh yeah I forgot to ask... Infocom fan???? How about original Bard's Tale?

Yes! I was one of those people that was actually not sad to see Activision buy Infocom, I thought at the time Activision was an incredibly great company and was hoping they would do great things with Zork, Hitchhiker's Guide and the like. Unfortunately I was wrong! lol

I still have many of those original Infocom games on floppy disks, only a few can still be read though. I kept them in a shed for a few years and heat ended up doing bad things to those floppy's. I just bought a glass curio case to show off my C-64 to the other nerds and geeks that enter my home. Some of the Infocom floppy's will reside there now. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.