Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
What do you think will be the forces shaping video games during the coming next years?
ro2nie Apr 11, 2014
Hello people, I've been asked for an assignment for university to ask members of online gaming communities to give some ideas on the following:

What do you think will be the forces shaping video games during the coming next years?
with regards to technology advancements (oculus rift?)/ gaming coming to linux / will it be the death of consoles as they merge completely into digital media entertaining systems, etc.

I'd really appreciate if you could give some thoughts on this. Thanks
Liam Dawe Apr 12, 2014
Linux & SteamOS of course because of their open and customizable nature. Giving freedom back to PC owners.
HadBabits Apr 13, 2014
I can't say much for the future, but there are certainly some recent trends that may continue to shape where we're going.

Crowdfunding has changed things up quite a bit in the indie circle, although a lot of the enthusiasm and trust has faded, I feel. Micro-transactions have become a rather big thing, unfortunately amongst AAA and indie alike. The mobile game market seems to be spiraling down, as more devs clone and push free to play games to auidiences who don't know any better, while traditional games you pay and play are not doing too well.

VR definitely might become something big, there's definitely enough companies investing in it. Pc gaming seems to becoming bigger, though I worry about elitist attitudes surrounding it driving some people off, not to mention some of our own passionate Linux gamers ;)

I'm not sure about the Steam Boxes to be honest. I think the people who are the most excited are probably Linux users such as myself, but mainly because it means we get more games, not that we'll buy one. I do think Linux will continue to grow however. And there's definitely a larger need for more open platforms. DRM-Free gaming has become pretty common, so I feelings for the future are pretty optimistic.
oldrocker99 Apr 14, 2014
I was just looking at the Greenlit Linux collection, and quite a few games were crowdfunded, so that's one big force. VR? Possibly, but it remains to be seen. I do think that some indie game will come out of nowhere (a la Minecraft) and make a monster splash, but it'll be a PC game, not a mobile or tablet game.

I also think that Steam's Linux gamble will pay off for them big time, but I'm not so sure about Steamboxes.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.