You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Metro:LL gamma problem. fix?
EKRboi Aug 10, 2014
I have seen this issue reported all over the place and affecting multiple OS's, though I never really found a fix for it. By default the gamma setting is really high so it makes the world much more bright than it should be. The slider in the settings does absolutely nothing. I have been playing it and trying to ignore it but it does break the immersion of a game that is suppose to be very dark.

So has anyone ran into this and was able to fix it? It(gamma slider) does work when I play at 1920x1080, but going to 5760x1080 causes it to not work. Other than the gamma thing and the poor handling of prerendered video at ultra wide res the game plays very well.
EKRboi Aug 11, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Ill look into it. The main issue is that the game does not have too many configurable settings that actually take on linux. Not sure why it is dumbed down even farther than the win version but it is. It won't let you specify a resolution and simply runs at desktop res. Even with the 3 monitors and the virtual res of 5760x1080 things can still see that there are 3 1920x1080 monitors and many things im guessing are programed to just check the first monitors res instead of virtual. Most of the time the work around is to just run a game windowed and set openbox's rc.xml to undecorate it. When Metro:LL is run in windowed mode it will only run 800x600 for whatever dumb reason. So with it not wanting to respond even to cfg edits I had to resort to a second xorg conf for this one and force the drivers not to report the separate monitor boundaries and report only the virtual res. Then once that was done I could not get it to run on openbox nor xfwm4, it would crash at startup. It does however work when xinit'd on it's own with no WM. I am assuming the no WM has something to do with not being able to change gamma settings in game because when run at 1920x1080 in a WM it works just fine.

Oh the joys of having a "non standard" setup on linux ;)

EDIT* Stan, you sir are awesome! :D
xgamma worked perfectly. I was able to ssh in while Metro was running and use it by specifying a display (xgamma -display :0 -gamma #.#) and find the best setting for the game. Then I added it to the script I use with xinit to launch the game from tty1. Yay! no more super bright Metro!
HadBabits Sep 4, 2014
I second that thanks :) I'm tired of waiting on Metro Redux, so I might as well spend the time finishing Last Light.
HadBabits Sep 5, 2014
Also, since this might come in handy for anyone else playing, I discovered how to change the FOV (it seems pretty low in the game). There's a config file in /home/<User>/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Metro Last Light/110000105f6c595/

Just search for FOV in the user.cfg file. The value may seem off, that's because it's vertical FOV. You can use this calculator to find the value you want. Hope this helps someone :)
EKRboi Sep 5, 2014
Quoting: HadBabitsAlso, since this might come in handy for anyone else playing, I discovered how to change the FOV (it seems pretty low in the game). There's a config file in /home/<User>/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Metro Last Light/110000105f6c595/

Just search for FOV in the user.cfg file. The value may seem off, that's because it's vertical FOV. You can use this calculator to find the value you want. Hope this helps someone :)

yep! good info HadBabits! I had already done this, but I did not think to post it for future searchers.
HadBabits Sep 6, 2014
Oh, and one more handy thing; I noticed you said you SSH'd the xgamma command, but you can actually just hit shift+tab to open the steam community, then alt+tab out and use the command in a terminal. :)
EKRboi Sep 6, 2014
Quoting: HadBabitsOh, and one more handy thing; I noticed you said you SSH'd the xgamma command, but you can actually just hit shift+tab to open the steam community, then alt+tab out and use the command in a terminal. :)

Yep it can be done that way. I only used ssh from my phone when I was first trying to find the correct gamma value to use becausse I could just change it without taking the game off the screen so I could see the changes immediately. For whatever reason the ONLY way I could get the game to run with my 5760x1080 resolution was to run it with no WM or DE. It just crashes otherwise. So I could have switched TTY's to make the changes but alt-tab was not an option for me.

Hoping the redux versions work better with my resolution!
HadBabits Sep 6, 2014
Quoting: EKRboiHoping the redux versions work better with my resolution!

I'm hoping for a lot of improvements in the options department :P
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.