Metro Redux grrr...
EKRboi Aug 26, 2014
*WARNING* this is just a b*tching thread, so there will probably be no coherent flow to it :D

I know the whole linux release being "later this year" has already been discussed... but that doesn't mean I'm not a little bitter about it. I missed that "fine print" as I never read the official statement on their website. I only went off what was posted on steam.. and that cute little penguin that was next to it. Only to have the penguin removed and my metro hopes crushed (for the time being). I... no, WE need a more specific date we can expect to play these on linux. I would even be ok with a beta release for linux, marked as such. Let us help 4A make it the game we hope it will be. It has been said that visually there should be no real difference from the win and linux redux versions.. which was not the case with LL. That statement alone gets me excited. If it turns out to be true, I have no doubts these will be the next "best looking game on linux".

Now the day for the windows release has come and I'm a little :( and a bit :><: . I was really hopeing for a surprise multi-os launch. I REALLY want to play these and the best they can come up with is "later"... I don't want to goto windows and play it as I want the stats to show that I ONLY installed it in linux. Let's just hope the wait time is much less than I'm anticipating...

I really don't understand why the *nix's (OSX/Linux) get treated as second class citizens. Could they not have afforded to wait a bit longer and released them at the same time? I know I'm not the only slightly butt-hurt penguin out there as there are many posts on the steam forums from others who are a little peeved over the penguin icon switcharoo as well.

I'm glad I purchased at the preorder half off price.. but seeing them sitting in my library.. just staring at me isn't helping. I'm having bad thoughts of booting windows to play them.. someone talk me away from the ledge :P
sev Aug 26, 2014
I play games on Linux so exclusively that I don't even HAVE a Windows partition to tempt me. But honestly I can't get mad when game devs take longer to release to Linux. Yes it feels second class but right now we ARE second class. There just aren't as many of us playing games on Linux.....

....yet.

My hopes are that Valve pushes SteamOS like EA pushes always-online game athentication. I hope Valve releases Half Life 3 as a SteamOS exclusive, at least for the first 6 months of its run. I want Steam Machines to sell, and for people to start using Linux. That would make us first class citizens.
Cimeryd Aug 28, 2014
The lack of an actual announced date and the stability issues of LL kept me from pre-ordering this game. If they want my money again they are going to have to put in the god damned work to make a good Linux game first.
EKRboi Aug 28, 2014
Quoting: CimerydThe lack of an actual announced date and the stability issues of LL kept me from pre-ordering this game. If they want my money again they are going to have to put in the god damned work to make a good Linux game first.

I can't speak for the day 1 lauch of orignal LL on linux, but I have not had any stability issues personally. The only real issue I have has is prerendered video being messed up when I FORCED the game to run at 5760x1080.. but other than that no problems. The original LL for linux was a port of a port though.. they ported it to mac and then ported the mac version to linux instead of doing a dedicated linux version. Which is why the original linux LL uses opengl 3.2, and is not as pretty as it's windows counterpart. That is not the case with the redux versions. They have done linux development side by side with the windows version and it will use opengl 4.* from my understanding. It is suppose to look fantastic on linux and truely be 100% linux native this time.

There has been some more linux things happening on the 2033 redux steamdb entry today as well.. it may not be far off.

http://steamdb.info/app/286690/history/
Cimeryd Aug 28, 2014
I got tired of being booted back to the desktop and gave up. Some people reported trying a particular area 14 times before they got past the glitch that just quit the game. It may have been patched, I don't know, what I know is that I'll be watching the reports from other Linux players before I lay any more money down for this studio.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.