Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Steam Issue
PublicNuisance Dec 20, 2014
Has anybody else had an issue with Steam where it won't see library folders on separate hard drives you have created ? They're there, I can run games that I have installed to them but Steam doesn't always see them when I'm trying to install new games. It only happens with the Linux version of Steam, never Windows. Any suggestions ?

Ok, this no longer a Steam issue. The reason Steam doesn't always see it is for some reason the drive seems to lose permissions. I have to back and set it to allow read and writes to my account. Worse it it doesn't always seem to save even that.
StianTheDark Dec 20, 2014
Every time I fire up my system I have to go onto my external drive with Dolphin and then assign it a Steam Library thing again.

What I would suggest you did, is opening up whatever program you use to browse files as root (sudo) and then assign permissions again. If that still doesn't work, go into command line and use chmod -r <permissionsettings> <dirname>.
psychoamericana Dec 21, 2014
I was able to circumvent this problem by adding the volume to fstab and mount it upon initial login. After that I used chmod to set permissions and I was all set, no more issues.
PublicNuisance Dec 21, 2014
I found a solution. If I open the hard drive before opening Steam it sees it fine. I don't have to access anything just opening it works. I guess Linux doesn't mount it until I open the drive. Kind of strange but not exactly a lot of work to fix.
wolfyrion Dec 22, 2014
Quoting: PublicNuisanceI found a solution. If I open the hard drive before opening Steam it sees it fine. I don't have to access anything just opening it works. I guess Linux doesn't mount it until I open the drive. Kind of strange but not exactly a lot of work to fix.

just use fstab to mount your hard drives for example
first get root access on terminal

gedit /etc/fstab

/dev/sdc1 /media/GAMES ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 0 1
/dev/sdd1 /media/ROMS ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 0 1
Xpander Dec 22, 2014
i would suggest to use uuid instead of /dev/sdx
cause if you swap your cables around then it might get wrong places

so
UUID=5bcd0e0b-b123-4abc-b123-bc6ff14d98f2 /media/GAMES ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 0 1

etc

to find out your disk uuid use gparted or /dev/disk/by-uuid
WorMzy Dec 24, 2014
Or lsblk --output NAME,MOUNTPOINT,UUID

Incidentally, only your root partition should have a pass_no of 1, everything else should have a 0 or 2. I don't think it really matters nowadays, but there you go.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.