Another smaller update to Proton Experimental has arrived, the special version of Proton where the latest enhancements come in before rolling out to the main Proton builds. If you're not clear on what Proton and Steam Play are, be sure to check out our constantly updated dedicated page.
With Proton Experimental 2021/07/09 here's what's changed:
- Performance improvements for Mafia III: Definitive Edition.
- Fixed layout for Logitech G920 steering wheel controllers.
- Updated VKD3D-Proton to 2.4
Need to know how to actually use Proton Experimental? Here's a simple HOWTO (as it's not complicated!). Make sure it's installed by searching for it in your Steam Library, then select it from the Compatibility menu in the Properties section of a game. See our quick video below:
For an explainer in text form:
- Search for Proton Experimental and install if not already.
- Right click any game on Steam and go to Properties.
- Select the Compatibility menu on the right side.
- Ensure the "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" is ticked.
- From the dropdown box that appears select Proton Experimental.