You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.

The International 2019 tournament that starts in August just hit a recording-breaking prize pool sum.

When players buy the Dota 2 Battle Pass, 25% of it goes towards the prize pool for the tournament while giving players a bunch of extras. Last year's prize pool was a total of around $25,532,177 which itself was record-breaking at the time. This year though, it's broken it yet again with it currently sitting at $25,654,923 and there's still quite a lot of time to go.

That's an absolutely eye-watering sum of money, although it is split across a number of teams. Even so, looking over last year even the teams that came 17th-18th managed to get over $63K which is still a huge amount of money.

Not surprising though, since Dota 2 remains one of the most popular games on Steam regularly hitting well over seven hundred thousand players online at the same time:


From SteamDB.

It's also worth noting that the base prize pool from Valve was $1.6 million, so over $24 million is from players buying the Battle Pass. If that much is from a 25% cut, Valve themselves are pulling in a pretty large sum from this each year as well since the other 75% goes directly to them. Certainly makes you think doesn't it?

Ever have one of those days that makes you question what you're doing? I think I need to play more Dota 2…

Article taken from GamingOnLinux.com.
Tags: Misc, Steam, Valve
8 Likes
We do often include affiliate links to earn us some pennies. We are currently affiliated with GOG and Humble Store. See more here.
About the author -
author picture
I am the owner of GamingOnLinux. After discovering Linux back in the days of Mandrake in 2003, I constantly came back to check on the progress of Linux until Ubuntu appeared on the scene and it helped me to really love it. You can reach me easily by emailing GamingOnLinux directly.
See more from me
The comments on this article are closed.
No comments yet!

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
The comments on this article are closed.