Railway Empire from Gaming Minds Studios and Kalypso Media Digital has expanded again with the release of the Northern Europe DLC.
Aid the Swedish Parliament and construct a national railroad to continue the country’s far-reaching industrial advancements along the lakes and sprawling rivers that were first used by freight ships to provide goods and supplies to Northern Europe’s people.
New Feature Highlight:
- New scenario: Hibernation (1853-1870)
- Map expansion: ‘Northern Europe’ (available in Free Game and Sandbox modes)
- 3 historical engines: Odin (2-2-2), Prins August (2-4-0) and SJB II (4-6-0)
- 10 new tradeable goods (e.g. crisp bread and brown cheese) and 30 new cities
- ‘Concession’ feature: The map is divided into sections. Buy concessions to gain access to new building grounds (Also available on the full North American map)
- Snow: Enhanced weather system for all northern regions in the game
- New regional soundtrack
While the initial release of Railway Empire did have issues, especially with the AI, Gaming Minds Studios have put in the effort to correct many of the initial problems and it's become a much bigger and better game over time. One I can happily recommend now.
Even without any of the DLC, they've gradually expanded it free with content updates. Like with the Challenge Mode added in October, giving you more ways to test yourself against others with a global ranking. The December free update is out now too, adding in another challenge.