The fast-paced arena styled first-person shooter Red Eclipse 2 has now officially released on Steam so anyone can jump in, as it's free and open source.
After no official update since 2017, two years later a huge revamp of this classic shooter is alive. While it is on Steam now, it's not Steam-exclusive as you can still get it from the official site so that's good. This isn't them just sticking a 2 on the end with a few little changes. Red Eclipse 2 is a massive overhaul including a new and updated rendering engine (Tesseract), a new UI, streamlined gameplay and plenty of tweaks.
- A modern, completely free first person shooter. No fees, no microtransactions, no lootboxes.
- Fast paced, modern first person shooter action with seven unique main weapons.
- Built on the permissively licensed, open source Tesseract engine.
- Available for Windows, GNU/Linux, BSD, and macOS.
- Parkour, impulse boosts, dashing, and other tricks.
- A huge amount of mutators and game altering variables.
- Create maps with other players in realtime co-op edit.
Great to see it out, it's a huge amount of fun. Hopefully now that it's on Steam, it might gain a bigger player-base and perhaps even pull in a few extra developers to tinker with the code and improve it for everyone, the extra exposure could help there too.