Acting as a sequel to their free and much smaller game Among Ripples released back in 2015, Among Ripples: Shallow Waters is an eco-tycoon sim that's looking for your funding.
With the state the world is in, a game about taking care of at least one small part of it gives me the good feels all over. The team at Eat Create Sleep say they're actually working with "real ecologists to create a simulation of something that could happen in real life", so there's some real science behind it. Check out their new trailer below:
They have a demo available too, although it does have a few graphical issues in the Linux version on my NVIDIA GPU. I spoke to the developer, who said the demo is just a prototype so such issues will not be in the proper game. It's just to give a basic taste of what to expect. Even with those small issues, it was a rather relaxing experience overall and one I could see myself playing. Try the demo from Steam and itch.io.
Some of what to expect from the full experience they say will include:
- Create your own ecosystem, balance predators and prey and make the environment livable.
- Nurture and tend to creatures, understand their needs and comforts. Watch how they interact with the world you create for them.
- Shape your world, by raising and lowering land, expanding the lake.
- The game adapts to your skill level and creates a meditative flow for inexperienced and experienced players alike. You will also be able to tweak your challenge.
- Immerse yourself in a single-player campaign where you lead a couple of scientists. Build your mobile research base, research tech trees and ask your companions for advice.
- Build your own experience, with the custom games mode, level editor and mod support you can branch out and find new unexpected ways to play the game.
See the campaign on Kickstarter if you wish to learn more and help fund this game. They need to get at least 300,000 SEK (around about $30K) before March 20 to succeed.