Europa Universalis IV: Emperor expansion announced today by Paradox Development Studio and Paradox Interactive with a focus on the Holy Roman Empire, Catholicism and the internal management of your kingdom.
They sure are a busy team since PDX only recently released La Résistance for Hearts of Iron IV, which it sounds like BTRE quite enjoyed in his review and we also have Stellaris: Federations coming soon. They have multiple teams inside though of course.
Check out the new trailer below for Europa Universalis IV: Emperor:
For a quick breakdown of what features will come with the expansion:
- A Powerful Pope: Appoint cardinals, publish Papal Bulls and gather tithes. The Vatican and Papal Controller now have new abilities to sway the souls of Christendom.
- New Holy Roman Empire Systems: Imperial Incidents provide new challenges to the Emperor's power and authority. Will your empire follow a course to a centralized monarchy or decentralized federation?.
- Revolutions Revamped: The spirit of Revolution is a contagion that must be either embraced or vigorously opposed. Use the guillotine and revolutionary guard to enforce the new way of thinking.
- The Hussite Faith: Bohemia has an early game chance to embrace heresy and stand alone against the Pope until The Reformation.
- Hegemonies: If you accomplish great feats, you should expect great rewards. Seize the mantle of honor for accumulating great wealth and armies.
- New Missions: Over 20 new unique mission trees for a variety of European nations
- Defender of Faith: With great responsibility comes great power. Earn more bonuses for defending a major religion than for defending a small one.
- The Council of Trent and Counter-Reformation: Join other Catholic rulers to slow down the spread of the Reformation by making concessions to the unruly mob or harshly imposing the will of God.
- Provoke Rebellions: Risk a larger rebellion now while you think you can manage it instead of waiting for discontent to take its course.
As always, Emperor will be accompanied by a major update to the game free for everyone too which will include a redrawn map of west and central Europe, Crown Lands, big changes to how Mercenaries work, tons of quality of life changes (aimed at making the experience better) and a host of other major changes. You can see a bunch in past developer diaries listed here.
Check Europa Universalis IV: Emperor out on Steam if you're interested in following/wishlisting.