Imperator: Rome from Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio today had a huge update release along with a new DLC content pack and you can play free until April 5.
Still struggling to get into a Positive rating from users, Paradox haven't given up on it with their new update roadmap of smaller and more focused updates now in full force. Today the free 1.4 "Archimedes" update for Imperator: Rome went out which addresses the Religion mechanics, plus it introduces Pantheons and other divine changes:
- State Deities: The Omens system has been replaced by a national Pantheon. Gods from across your empire are welcome into this divine collection, providing passive bonuses most of the time, though you can invoke their power for greater benefits.
- Holy Sites: The classical world was full of sacred groves and mysterious locales. Holy Sites increase the strength of the relevant deity in your Pantheon, or may be sacked of their wealth by less faithful rulers.
- Sacred Treasures: Revered historical and divine relics can be stored in your National Treasury, earning small bonuses. If you sack an enemy’s Holy Sites or capital, there is a chance you might capture these special artifacts.
- Loyalty Rework: Instead of a ticking scale to track, Character Loyalty will be a sum of various factors, making it easier to understand and control.
They've even given it a fresh trailer:
Additionally, the Magna Graecia content pack (DLC) is also out today which focuses on enhancing the experience of playing Greek minor cities, especially the big three - Athens, Sparta and Syracuse. Available for around $7.99 / £5.79 / €7.99 it includes:
- Apotheosis: A popular ruler from a prestigious family may be declared a god and welcomed into the State Pantheon. Elevate enough rulers and you may institute an Imperial Cult religion.
- New Greek Missions: New missions available for Athens, Sparta, Syracusae.
- New Deities: 12 new Greek deities tied to historical Holy Sites across the Greek world.
- Hellenistic Themed Treasures: Collect special artifacts based on the history and legends of the Hellenistic world.
- New Music, Art, and 3D Models
Find Imperator: Rome on Steam now where it's free to play until around 8PM UTC on April 5. If you decide you like it, the full game is also on sale with 50% off. Otherwise it's on GOG.com and the Humble Store.