Miss the classic arcade first-person shooters? I know I certainly do (although without bleeding money into machines) and Affliction Rescue has a really great feel that you should check out.
In this retro-arcade FPS you get a tip off regarding illegal experiments leads to investigation of the Emeraldo Corporation's research sites. You are 'Agent Red' and your task is to gather intelligence, rescue survivors and survive the various monstrosities spreading through the island complex.
What Affliction Rescue gives is a very old-school feel not unlike that of a classic arcade machine experience, and other early blocky-looking first-person shooters. It's pretty damn good too, bringing things back to the basics of managing your ammo and hunting for secrets.
I don't know what it is about blocky zombies that make me jump either, flashbacks to the old Resident Evil games perhaps but there's a lot of fun to be had in games like Affliction Rescue because they're just so pure. Reminds me of a much simpler time in gaming.
- 6 levels of first-person arcade shooter action. Navigate the island complex, finding secrets and rescuing survivors.
- Utilise 6 weapons to fight back foes - pistol, shotgun, double-barrel shotgun, double pistols, sub-machine gun and the mighty lightgun.
- Choose from 3 tuned difficulties.
- Save your progress. Return to the last level you reached with all your items, guns and ammo. No need to play through in a single sitting.
You can find Affliction Rescue free (or a donation) on itch.io.
What's also fun is that this is part of a series of free games released by Magellanic Games, all of which appear to be made with Godot Engine. You can see various others made by them also on their main itch.io page which includes other little gems like:
- Office Point Rescue - "Terrorists have invaded and taken hostages in the Emeraldalo Corporation's headquaters. Agent Foldon is assigned to infiltrate the building, dispatch the terrorists and rescue any surviving hostages."
- Splice Crisis - "On a routine mission to clear up an illegal research facility, members of team delta are ambushed and killed by an unknown throng of aggressive mutants."
- Heir of Eminence - "In a land now now consumed by shadow, a soul is awoken with the task of cleansing the usurpers and reclaiming their power."
The classic look of their games is certainly intentional, as Magellanic Games say that they "love making games in the guise of years long gone".
Quoting: LinasThe zombie model could also use some improvement. Right now it looks like a wooden plank with googly eyes painted on. That's not very scary.Wood - splinters everywhere... googly eyes - a choke hazard... aaargh!
This looks like it would work really well as a sort of light gun shooter (LGS?) with a gyro controller or Wiimote. Also needs some really bad voice acting, like HotD, which was frankly the scariest part of those games.
No qwerty, lefty, disabled, desk setting, and other good reasons to have key rebinding in any games, should be mandatory.
Quoting: whizseYou just made me realize that there's more than one way to improve a game.Quoting: LinasThe zombie model could also use some improvement. Right now it looks like a wooden plank with googly eyes painted on. That's not very scary.Wood - splinters everywhere... googly eyes - a choke hazard... aaargh! [...] Also needs some really bad voice acting, like HotD, which was frankly the scariest part of those games.
Quoting: TcheyIt seems to be again a game without any keyboard configuration, with WASD as default.They have released an update:
- New menu layout. All options from the pause menu are now accessible on the main menu and on a separate menu.
- Keyboard controls can now be remapped as desired. If you assign a key that has already been used it will simply swap the mappings. These are of course saved to your game data file.
- Footstep sounds can be turned on or off.
- Fullscreen mode available in the options menu.
- Added a load screen so as to not make the game feel like it's frozen when loading larger levels.
- Added control bindings for looking and shooting with the keyboard which can also be remapped as desired.
- Fixed missing collision and disappearing scenery on level 5.
See more from me