Black Mesa: Definitive Edition is the final big update to the re-imagined fan-made Half-Life game, and it's looking pretty awesome. Easily the best way to experience the first part of Half-Life.
Don't get me wrong, the original from Valve still has plenty of true charm but for modern audiences it's not the ideal way to try and get into it. Black Mesa (especially now with the Definitive Edition) makes it easier for a new generation to get invested into the crazy world that is Half-Life and experience the adventure of Dr. Gordon Freeman.
With the Black Mesa: Definitive Edition out now here's the highlights (patch notes here) of what to expect from it:
- Massive polish and art updates throughout the game
- Complete lighting and gameplay pass to the chapter “Power Up”
- Complete redesign of second “On A Rail” map (map B)
- Significant optimizations across the whole game that will improve performance on low to mid range PCs
- Outdoor art passes for “We’ve Got Hostiles”, “On A Rail”, “Questionable Ethics”, “Surface Tension”, and “Forget About Freeman”
- New shield and architectural art for Interloper
- Full workshop support
- Updated closed caption/translation files for: English, Spanish, French, Finnish, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Ukrainian and more on the way.
Some updated shots they shared from it:
While this is the final major update, there's still a few issues they're sorting through so expect minor patches. After this though, they're moving onto work on something new and not another remake either. They're clearly a talented bunch, let's see what they cook up next.
You can buy Black Mesa: Definitive Edition on Steam.
I sincerely hope the next step is to port Black Mesa to the Half-Life: Alyx engine... Shouldn't be impossible I think ;)
I advice against spending money on this, just for the lack of respect to the Linux community.
Last edited by [email protected] on 25 November 2020 at 4:53 pm UTC
I love Black Mesa, but this update does not bring enough for me to play through it again...
See more from me