DevilutionX aims to make playing the classic Diablo and Hellfire on modern systems a breeze, with a full public domain coded reimplementation and a big new 1.2 version is out now.
Once again, a community of coders doing amazing work out in the open keeping a classic game very much alive and well. For us, having proper Linux support is great too since DevilutionX offers a great many enhancements to make running such a classic less of a hassle.
So what's new in DevilutionX 1.2? A lot! Some of it includes:
- Hellfire support
- Shareware support
- Fully migrate saves between Diablo and Hellfire
- Gold picked goes to stack even when inventory is open
- Pepin automatically heals
- Show other players on the map
- Preserve list position when buying and selling items in stores
- Preserve hotkeys and active spell across games
- Set default active spell for new heroes
- Experience bar (off by default)
- Monster health bar (off by default)
- Auto equip all item types on pickup or purchase (off by default)
- Auto pickup gold (off by default)
- Run in town (off by default) (also in multiplayer)
- Disable friendly fire from arrows an spells (off by default)
- Disable quest randomization (off by default)
- Adria refills mana (off by default)
- Barbarian and Bard heroes in Diablo (off by default)
That's just gameplay related features. There's a fair amount more that came with the 1.2 release for Diablo including widescreen menus, subtitles move at the correct speed, sound volume now applies to videos, there's an AppImage for Linux users, lower memory and performance improvements, an increased limit on saved games and much more.