Another high quality point and click adventure has been announced with Invasive Recall, a cyberpunk game set in the not-so-distant future where there's a device that can scan and interpret thoughts of the human mind. Sadly though, it appears this device completely screws with peoples minds and so they become completely demented or insane - sounds pretty rough.
This technology is still used though, to grab the last fading memories of deceased victims of crime, a process called Invasive Recall and people who use it nicknamed Mind Readers. The game itself is developed in Sweden by the three-person team Springbeam Studio, check out their wonderful long trailer below:
Some of what to expect from it includes:
- Classic 2d point and click adventure: We grew up with the point and click genre, and we think that it has time and again proven itself as a great vehicle for telling intriguing stories. We are not aiming to reinvent the wheel, we just want to take what was good of the classic games like maniac mansion, monkey island, fullthrottle and broken sword and make a traditional and well crafted game.
- Character switching: Switch between Rachel and Landon at will. Character switching is great for adding variety to both story and puzzles. It gives an alternative approach for the player if stuck and also opens up to interesting puzzles where character collaboration is the only solution.
- Invasive Recall Mechanic: Utilize your Recall instrument to transfer memories of the recently deceased and play through their last moments alive. Uncover clues in the past that help you solve puzzles in the present.
- Vast city to explore: As you discover new places to explore you can move freely between the scenes of the city thanks to police responders used by both Landon and Rachel.
- Puzzles that enhance and move the story forward, without obstructing it: Our goal is to make the puzzles feel like a natural part of the world of the game, and never feel like something shoehorned in for the sake of adding friction. having said that, we do love puzzles and the game will have lots of them!
- 9 verb interface: Using the classic nine verb interface is in line with our approach to puzzle design. We want the player to think their way through our game, and we find this type of interface really engages the player and allows for more creative puzzles.
- A dark and rainy mystery of epic proportions: Find out what is stirring beneath the surface of the city. Why are a handful of prominent scientist turning up dead? Why are ordinary people vanishing into thin air, never to be seen again?
- Lots of locations and lots of animations
The full game is due out in 2022, with Linux support confirmed nice and clearly.
You can help fund it on Kickstarter where they have until May 6 to hit €33,500.
See more from me