Less than a month after the last release, the Infinity Engine reimplementation for the likes of Baldur's Gate and other RPGs has another big release with GemRB 0.9.0.
The developers mentioned this was a "monster" to get sorted and this update is over six years in the making. It's a huge change bringing a modernization of the UI system, drawing and input handling. You also should no longer need any widescreen mods for the classics.
Here's what's new:
- basic resolution independence
- python3 support
- arbitrary window dragging support
- improved debug console
- subtitle support for BIK videos
- window management, drawing and input handling
- performance: SDL2 video playback, general and text rendering
- smoother movement animations, demo
GemRB currently works with Baldur’s Gate 1, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1, Baldur’s Gate 2, Icewind Dale 2 and eventually possibly even mods designed for the Enhanced Editions from Beamdog.
See more on the GemRB website.