Do you love JRPGs and the classics? You're going to need to check out Quartet from Shadows of Adam developer Something Classic.
Covering all the mechanics you might expect from a retro-looking RPG, except the story. Interestingly in Quartet it begins with four separate stories but you play them in whatever order you want. As they come together it builds up your final party of eight characters. Sounds pretty sweet and looks great too.
- Combat is fast-paced, turn-based, and full to the brim with TONS of special abilities to use. Each character and enemy turn are shown in the turn queue on the right, allowing the player to plan devastating and timely tactical strikes.
- Players can unleash multiple elemental and physical abilities to exploit enemy weaknesses.
- AP automatically regenerates after a hero's turn. So don't be stingy—spam those spells!
- In Quartet, you control 4 characters on the front line, with the other 4 ready to jump into the action at any time. Ready to bring out your heavy-hitter or an emergency healer? Swap in seamlessly from the reserve party! Swapped-in characters take their turn immediately, with no penalty.
- While characters are in the reserves, they also regenerate their ability points (AP) more rapidly, making swapping a crucial element of combat.
- From the steampunk-inspired streets of Leornin to the forests on the barbarian frontier; from the cursed marshes of Tyche to the underworld warehouses of Seren, Quartet offers lots to explore.
- Exploration is absolutely worth your while. With eight party members to equip, you need lots of gear, and a lot of it comes out of a treasure chest.
- We have a hippo as a playable character
It has until October 1 to hit $35,000 on the Kickstarter campaign. At time of writing it already has about $23,000 pledged so it looks like it should hit the required goal before the campaign is over.
Full Linux support is confirmed and there's already a demo available to see if it might be your thing. The demo offers around 30-45 minutes gameplay.
See more from me