Only a few days ago Proton Experimental saw an update to pull in NVIDIA DLSS support for DirectX 12 and as of today's update this has expanded to DirectX 11 titles too.
It's still currently disabled by default with you needing to make a small adjustment to turn it on. This can be added to individual games by setting
PROTON_HIDE_NVIDIA_GPU=0 PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 %command% in the launch options. Or you can try
PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 %command% with "dxgi.nvapiHack = False" in a DXVK config file.
There's also an update to newer DXVK that includes the latest development work and you should find that Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is now playable with it. The Proton changelog can be found here.
Need to know how to actually use Proton Experimental? Here's a simple HOWTO (as it's not complicated!). Make sure it's installed by searching for it in your Steam Library, then select it from the Compatibility menu in the Properties section of a game. See our quick video below:
For an explainer in text form:
- Search for Proton Experimental and install if not already.
- Right click any game on Steam and go to Properties.
- Select the Compatibility menu on the right side.
- Ensure the "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" is ticked.
- From the dropdown box that appears select Proton Experimental.
Check out our full guide on Steam Play Proton for more.