Yacht Club Games, know for the popular Shovel Knight series has a new game in development called Mina the Hollower, and it's currently crowdfunding on Kickstarter with it being a clear early success.
"Descend into a frightful world of action-adventure in Mina the Hollower. Take control of Mina, a renowned Hollower hurtled into a desperate mission to rescue a cursed island. Burrow beneath hazards and monsters, whip foes into oblivion, and gear up with an arsenal of sidearms and trinkets. Explore a vast world filled with pixel-perfect graphics, masterful gameplay, beastly bosses, and infectious music. Encounter a cast of bizarre characters, search out secrets in an array of exotic locales, and illuminate the omnipresent darkness in Mina the Hollower, a brand new game from the developers who brought you Shovel Knight!"
At time of writing it's at around $710,000. The developer has now confirmed they plan a Linux and macOS port, if the Kickstarter manages to hit at least $800,000 in funding through the stretch-goals (of which it's already hit many). How quickly it managed to pull in multiple hundreds of thousands just goes to show how popular retro-styled games are, and there's plenty with faith in Yacht Club Games as a developer. There's another 24 days to go so the Linux goal will likely be hit quite easily.
- Hauntingly authentic 8-bit visuals in the style of Game Boy Color, refined for the modern era.
- Modern touches abound: detailed animation, widescreen visuals, and rock-solid controls!
- Leap, dodge, and burrow through the ground to battle monsters or navigate the world.
- Lash at foes with your trusty whip, Nightstar- or choose from an arsenal of weapons, each with a totally different move set.
- Discover and utilize a reliquary's worth of unusual Sidearms to gain the advantage in combat.
- Collect and equip Trinkets to acquire a variety of exotic effects. Level Mina up to suit your unique playstyle.
- Electrifying MSX-style soundtrack by chiptune virtuoso, Jake Kaufman.
- Descend into the depths of madness with a bone-chilling, yet heartwarming tale inspired by Victorian Gothic horror.
- Explore a huge, dark world brimming with secrets, challenging battles, and interconnected level design.
You can fund it on Kickstarter and follow it on Steam.
And that's totally not a bad thing.
Regardless though, they will have my money. Link's Awakening style games were always my favorite.
See more from me