Mask of the Rose is a new mixture of a dating sim with a little murder and detective work, set in the popular Fallen London Universe from Failbetter Games.
Unlike a lot of dating-sim visual novel types, this is not another Anime-styled game pushing scantily clad characters in your face. Instead, it uses the wonderful gothic underworld style that Failbetter are known for with Fallen London, Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies. They're taking a different approach to it too, as it's not all about you. While you can go out and look for everlasting love, you can also choose to be a matchmaker and remain unattached and all storylines remain accessible either way you go.
- (Re)invent yourself: who were you before the Fall? Who will you be now?
- Create outfits from a selection of clothing and unusual accessories to unlock different story options
- Fall in love with a cast of diverse Londoners, each with their own secrets
- Matchmake among your friends, or seek love for yourself (by any definition you like)
- Write love stories in a delightful minigame, and use them to impress the new Masters
- Pick up odd jobs to earn money and gather resources. How are you at rat catching?
- Solve the first murder since the Fall, with the assistance of the victim
- Discover cosy, mysterious and magnificent locations in a dark and delicious version of Victorian London
- Seek deeper and deeper secrets over multiple playthroughs
Another title that was funded via Kickstarter, it's good to see official Linux support has not only stuck around but available so early on with a Demo available for play-testing right now.
Check it out on Steam now. Be sure to let us know what you think in the comments if you try the demo!
Looks good, and features the kind of word craft that we know and love from the 'Sunless' games. It'll be interesting to experience the full game once it's released and I'm looking forward to it!
See more from me