Like the idea of Total War games but find them complicated or want something similar that takes a bit less time? Roma Invicta is a new indie release that looks promising.
"In Roma Invicta you have the honor of conquering ancient Gaul with your Roman legions. The game combines action oriented real-time battles with turn-based strategy on the campaign map where you raise, supply and move your armies.
The game can best be described as a mixture of the old Amiga classic 'North and South' and the 'Total War' series."
The developer mentioned they've tried to keep it reasonably historically accurate, and battles will leave a lasting impression on the environment with fallen soldiers, arrows sticking around, craters from cannon fire and more.
- Experience a lovingly handcrafted scenery of ancient Gaul.
- Recruit your troops from legionnaires to scorpion artillery to Germanic cavalry.
- Fight in tactical and action-packed real-time battles with hundreds of individual soldiers.
- Slow down or pause the battle to always stay in control and give orders with no hurry.
- Hand over parts of your army to the AI to always keep control even in larger battles.
- Supply your troops and always pay attention to the changing of the seasons.
- You decide whether to bring peace to the Gallic villages or whether to plunder them and thus further ignite the resistance against you.
- Different starting conditions and difficulty levels ensure replay value.
Available to buy on Steam.