The new Steam version of Dwarf Fortress sounds exciting, bringing in a whole new generation to the classic and they've finally given something of a roadmap to release. Still the same great classic game but modernised with official graphics and sound effects - hooray!
Included in their post is a 6-point plan of work still to be done that includes various amounts of UI work with hotkeys and tooltips, the continued work on graphics, bug fixing, Steam Workshop support, Steam Achievements, supporting the different game modes and the confirmation of Linux and macOS builds too!
However, it sounds like some of this may come post-launch (including Linux / macOS) and they're currently looking to release in "the fall" as the earliest possible time so we're looking at probably late September to late December.
- Not just generated geometry -- a whole simulated world. Generated rise and fall of civilizations, personalities, creatures, cultures, etc. Infinite hours of gameplay.
- Now with graphics! (Optional ASCII mode available.)
- Steam Workshop integration for easier modding
- A lifetime “living” project - created/updated since 2003, with no end in sight
- Generate your unique world and manage a bustling colony of dwarves, even as they probably mine towards their eventual demise.
- Optional ADVENTURER MODE: explore the generated world as a single hero in an RPG
- Optional LEGENDS MODE: read the history of the generated world and your games in it
- A new endless hobby, just for you!
You can see some gameplay on YouTube like this:
Quoting: WorMzyIt's always amazing how much work goes into this game. Hopefully the new graphics and menus lower the "barrier for entry" sufficiently for some people who were previously reluctant to play DF; but I also hope the ASCII mode works just as well and that the menus can still be driven by keyboard (or DF classic continues to be updated to keep feature parity with the Steam version). Not sure if they've decided on a price yet, but after playing DF for ~15 years already, it'll be worth the cost no matter what price they put on it.
Last word from Tarn was it's going to be 20$ US or so. Plan on picking up the Steam version as I've not sent a donation their way in some time no, and while I don't play as much DF as I used to I have very much enjoyed my time with it.
Last edited by Purple Library Guy on 24 February 2022 at 7:05 pm UTC
Quoting: CyrilAny chance to see it coming on GOG or itch.io?No idea, but if you're not already aware it's always been completely free and always will be.
Quoting: PhiladelphusQuoting: CyrilAny chance to see it coming on GOG or itch.io?No idea, but if you're not already aware it's always been completely free and always will be.
I mean this new version obviously. But I got my answer, they do have a itch.io page for it, so I'm fine and I'll be waiting for it there.
See more from me