Work that has been ongoing for some time now, OpenRCT2 the free and open source reimplementation of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 version 0.4.0 is out now and it's big. If you want to play it easily on Linux from Steam, you can do so with Luxtorpeda. I have a guide on using that on the Steam Deck in a previous article. Or, you can use the version from Flathub.
With the huge change being to the save file system, one of their time previously told me that it "significantly raises pretty much all the limits the original sv6 format had and is probably the biggest milestone we have hit since OpenRCT2 started over 7 years ago".
Some of the other improvements in this release includes:
- Allow up to 255 trains per ride.
- Path surfaces and railings can be mixed and matched, like in RCT1.
- The Fruity Ices Stall can now be recoloured, like in RCT1.
- The Corkscrew, Twister and Vertical Drop Roller Coasters can now draw inline twists.
- Allow map sizes of 999 × 999 (up from 254 × 254).
- Custom music objects that are distributed with the save.
- Various plugin improvements.
- Cheats are now saved with the park.
- Increased image limit in the engine.
- Lots of bug fixes