Another absolutely huge update for the Steam Deck just landed, with Valve clearly taking on lots of feedback to make it the best handheld gaming device around.
The first big one is that you can now add a performance profile for each title. By default the main system settings are used, and when toggling on a profile for the currently running title is then created with all changes saved and automatically applied on launching. Pictures below (click to enlarge):
This is going to be fantastic for just getting the most out of each game, without having to constantly change settings in the performance menu. No doubt Valve will continue expanding that, perhaps even allow sharing like you can for Steam Input configurations.
Oh, and for those curious to know how well the Steam Deck is doing, we're going to perhaps get a better look at that next month, as Valve has now hooked up the Steam Hardware Survey properly for the Steam Deck. So maybe we'll see even better numbers than seen recently.
More work is being done on sorting out external displays, as we come closer to the release of the official dock. As now when you're connected to an external display, the Steam Deck interface is scaled to virtual 1280x800 resolution and Valve say "more work on this feature and functionality is underway".
Some of the other additions include:
- Improved performance when switching from offline to online modes
- Improved availability of home screen sections when switching from offline to online modes
- Added the Bulgarian Phonetic Traditional and Phonetic keyboard layouts
- Corrected the interaction between CapsLock and Shift
- The keyboard shows AltGr symbol hints when AltGr is not active
- The keyboard only shows AltGr symbols when AltGr is active
- Non-ASCII characters work in desktop mode
- Removed rumble & haptics toggles from the Quick Access menu. These can be accessed in the Settings > Controller Settings page.
- Moved Re-order Controllers button to the Other section in the Quick Access menu
- Added a "Stop Streaming" option to the Power menu when hosting a Remote Play session
- Updated Recently Played games list to include streamed games
- Plus a bunch of bug fixes