For everyone in the main Stable channel they adjusted the lock screen to include battery status, network status, and time. Plus you can also now toggle on the battery percentage in the header bar, found in Settings > General.
There's also button to reset the performance profile to system default, handy if you tweaked quite a few things:
Reduced login time for users with thousands of screenshots, the performance overlay is no longer stored with the per-app profile system and if you get Steam Support to remove the Steam Deck rewards put on a wrong account, you can also now reclaim them. Plus these bug fixes:
- Fixed per-app performance profiles restoring the wrong FPS limit
- Fixed an issue with keyboard theme not being applied the first time the keyboard was shown
- Fixed an issue with keyboard theme not being applied when there is no connection to Steam
- Fixed pinch-to-zoom gestures being active in certain places - preventing UI from being unexpectedly zoomed in
- Fixed some focus issues in the Library when going back from a game's detail page. It should give focus back to the last focused item properly.
- Fixed various issues with the Re-order Controller dialog
- Fixed login issues with users that have a '/ 'character in their profile name
- Fixed the Confirm button on controller layout export screen exporting more than one configuration
Update - 20th May, 2022: an extra update landed for the Stable channel:
- Fixed incorrectly displaying an update is available when there isn't one.
- Fixed Official Steam controller layouts not loading in certain scenarios, such as the default Desktop layout for Deck.
- Fixed the performance overlay level always being set to 0 on startup
- Fixed manual GPU clock settings being deactivated after a suspend/resume cycle
- Fixed controller layout error after editing a game-bundled layout
- Fixed keyboard theme regression that prevented selecting the Default Theme
On the Steam Deck opt-in Beta, things are just as exciting.
The fan controller has been upgraded once again so it should be "now smarter, more stable, and quieter overall". So less of it randomly spinning up, and when it does it should be smoother. It's nice to see plenty of focus on this, as the model that has that louder fan really was annoying.
When you toggle on the performance HUD, it should also now give a more accurate reading of VRAM, plus they added more internal resolution options for games to choose from. Previously some games couldn't get the right resolutions, so now more will. Plus these bug fixes:
- Fixed gain staging, resulting in higher max volume, and removes white noise coming through 3.5mm jack with some headphones.
- Fixed PipeWire and Steam failing to elevate their thread priorities
- Fixed the language dropdown in the Warframe launcher
Update - 21st May 21, 2022: another Beta update shipped with these changes:
- microSD card formatting process now performs a quick format
- Reverted fan controller to previous version while the team works on more improvements and testing
Seems some Steam Deck units were getting a little toasty…
Quick note though: on one of my Steam Deck units, the Beta update caused a black screen with the fan blowing. If that happens to you try holding down the power button for 15 seconds, then tap it once and it should reboot properly and apply the update.