Action Quake 2 (AQtion), a free and open source first-person shooter that the developers say "spawned one of the most popular and influential games of all time, Counter-Strike" is now available on Steam. Originally developed in 1998 to recreate the look and feel of an action movie, having a fast pace and a semi-realistic damage system.
The developers say the new release has been upgraded, with plenty of polish to make it worth playing.
Various modes available:
- Deathmatch - Spawn points are distributed over most of the map, and by default players battle out with only pistol, and a combat knife in a free-for-all fashion in an attempt to get the most kills possible. The map changes when one of two conditions is met: either the time or frag limit is reached. Additional "unique" equipment can be picked up throughout, meaning that only one exists on that map at any time.
- Capture the Flag - You will have to team up with other players and manage your offense and defense in pursuit of bringing the enemy's flag to your base in order to score. The team that captures the enemy flag the most wins!
- Teamplay - Players are split into two teams and play is round based. Players select one primary weapon and one item to use, in addition to the default pistol and knife. The teams spawn on opposite sides of the map and are then let loose to kill each other. If one team eliminates the other, they win the round.
- Team Deathmatch - Like Deathmatch but with teams, spawn points are distributed over most of the map, and by default players battle out with only pistol, and a combat knife in a free-for-all fashion in an attempt to get the most kills possible. The map changes when one of two conditions is met: either the time or frag limit is reached.
- Play Offline - Engage in battle against bots that will challenge your skills both with and without using your network connection. You can adjust their capability as well as select from several game modes.
- Espionage - Similar to teamplay mode, with the exception that the team points are awarded based on successful completion of a scenario. Players also respawn periodically, a fixed amount of time, if a certain amount of members of the team are dead, or instantly. Scenario types CNH, CTB and OFC are continuous play, as in there's no 'end' to a round until the roundlimit or timelimit is reached. The others types rounds end when an objective is met.