Exanima is an unforgiving 3D isometric RPG set in an original dark, low fantasy world. Currently in Early Access, it seems the developers have been paying attention to user requests for better Linux and Steam Deck support with Proton.
In the recent update released on July 17, 2022, the developer noted this:
Despite the lack of proper support some of you were already using controllers and it's a frequently requested feature. Steam Deck support was also requested and we worked on Proton compatibility, special UI scaling, control schemes and various input and performance optimisations with surprisingly good results.
Exanima is a game that does not naturally lend itself well to controller input, some aspects of interaction by necessity remain cursor based, but we developed dedicated control schemes for all core gameplay and user interface. The game can be played fully on controller and it's quite a fun and different experience.
Some of the specific changes to help include:
- Steam Deck support, performance, UI and control optimisations
- Proton and Linux GPU driver compatibility fixes
- Full controller support via Steam
- Dedicated movement and aiming controls
- Feathered object and UI cursor interaction
- Full menu and UI navigation and interaction
- On screen keyboard support
It's really great to see developers of all sizes and genres looking to improve Linux, Proton and Steam Deck support. The Steam Deck continues to be a huge boon for Linux gamers and controller users and hopefully this trend will continue. Curiously, Exanima was actually set as Steam Deck Verified multiple months ago even though it clearly had a number of issues that needed to be resolved so it's another case of a false-positive for the Deck Verified system — but at least now it might be accurate.
- Per session and global character skill progression
- Large non-linear main game following early content
- Build and permanently save characters by completing early content
- New encounters, items and environments
- Ranged combat and new close quarter manoeuvres
- Numerous moddable thaumaturgic powers
- More complete arena game modes featuring outdoor arenas
- Complex NPC interactions and dialogue
- Cooperative and competitive LAN multiplayer
Available to buy on Steam.