CatacombGL is an open source project to run Catacomb 3D (1991), The Catacomb Abyss (1992), The Catacomb Armageddon (1992) and The Catacomb Apocalypse (1993).
Just recently the project had a 0.5.4 Beta release, which is the first to have Native Linux support, along with using the CMake system. It has been tested across Ubuntu, Mint and even on a RaspberryPi.
- Runs native on Windows 7/8/10/11 and Linux.
- Hardware accelerated 3D rendering via OpenGL, supporting widescreen resolutions, a customizable field of view and an uncapped frame rate.
- Player, projectile and monster movement with floating point precision.
- Configurable mouse and keyboard controls.
- Supports all four Catacomb 3D games as included in the Catacombs Pack from GOG.com.
- Supports The Catacomb Abyss version 1.13 (shareware).
Current limitations as of version 0.5.4:
- No support for game controllers.
- No backwards compatibility with saved games from the original DOS game.
It does require the original games, like a lot of open source game engine re-implementations. You can buy the whole pack legally thanks to GOG.com.
The Catacomb Abyss screenshot from GOG.
Never heard of the series? According to the GOG description: "Catacombs Pack is a fantastic compilation of the classic fantasy FPS series. Step into the shoes of one Pelton Everhail, the greatest of the living wizards. Discover secret, long-forgotten treasure troves as you blast away the walls with your powerful magicks. Explore twisting mazes filled with deadly traps and even deadlier denizens. Face Nemesis and fight for your life and those that depend on you. Enter the Catacombs, if you dare and witness the true roots of the First Person Shooter genre on the PC!"