For people that love chasing Ghz, Intel has a surprise for you. They revealed the Intel Core i9-13900KS today that hits 6Ghz max turbo out of the box. They claim it's now the world's fastest desktop processor, the first processor in history able to hit 6Ghz out of the box.
It's a "special edition" processor, that will become available on January 12, 2023 priced at $699. Nearly identical to the 13900K except for the obvious bump in speeds across various parts of it like the performance core base frequency going from 3GHz to 3.20GHz, the efficient core base frequency going from 2.20Ghz to 2.40Ghz and the max now being 6Ghz. It's also more power hungry with the base power upped to 150W (up from 125W) but the max turbo requirement is the same 253W.
- Up to 6.0 GHz max turbo frequency with Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost – the first CPU in the PC industry to reach 6.0 GHz without overclocking.
- Intel® Adaptive Boost Technology for improved gaming performance by opportunistically allowing higher multicore turbo frequencies.
- 24 cores (eight Performance-cores and 16 Efficient-cores), 32 threads, 150W processor base power, 36MB Intel Smart Cache and a total of 20 PCIe lanes (16 PCIe 5.0 and four PCIe 4.0 lanes).
- Up to DDR5 5600 MT/s and DDR4 3200 MT/s support.
- Compatible with Z790 and Z690 motherboards, with the latest BIOS recommended for the best gaming and content creation experience.
From the press release:
“The Core i9-13900KS continues our 13th Gen Intel Core desktop processor family excellence, showcasing the new performance heights made possible by our performance hybrid architecture. Extreme gamers and enthusiasts can now push their everyday performance further than ever before with the first desktop processor in the PC industry to provide 6.0 GHz speeds at stock.”
–Marcus Kennedy, Intel Client Computing Group manager, Gaming and Channel