PPSSPP is a free and open source emulator for the Sony PSP, with release 1.16 out now adding in support for the popular RetroAchievements project.
RetroAchievements, as the name suggests, adds in support for an achievements system much like you might see on Steam or games consoles. Currently 202 games are supported with it but they said that in some cases only one or two regions of a game are supported.
Some of what else is new:
- A lot of people on Android 13 devices ended up in a situation where the choose-a-folder dialog during set up didn't work correctly. This has been fixed.
- Multiple input event handling fixes, should help with external joysticks
- Perf improvements on lower end devices by disabling ubershaders
- Multiple fixes for glitches like flicker in WWE vs Smackdown 2006, shadows in Motorstorm, etc.
- Lots of additional performance improvements and fixes
- Multiple bugfixes around texture replacement, fixing Tactics Ogre fonts among other things
They also added new IR-based JIT compiler backends, which should have long-term performance benefits in addition to compatibility with more CPU architectures. Plus more work towards reverse engineering "some of the more obscure math instructions of the PSP's VFPU, a custom little SIMD coprocessor".