VKD3D-Proton, the tool that translates Direct3D 12 to Vulkan for Steam Play Proton, has a brand new release out with version 2.10 and it's an exciting one. And hey, I'm actually on time with this news unlike DXVK v2.3…
There's some pretty great stuff included in this release including DirectStorage MetaCommands, which brings support for GPU accelerated GDeflate compression, which they said has been shown to work in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
Also hooked up is NV_device_generated_commands_compute, that helps with Starfield since its use of ExecuteIndirect "hammers multi-dispatch COMPUTE + root parameter changes", previously they were using a "very slow" workaround. So Starfield should work better with this, although it's only enabled on AMD RADV right now due to driver issues.
Also included is in this release is Enhanced Barriers, but there's no games shipping with it so it's not well tested yet.
There's plenty of fixes and workarounds for games and game engines too including issues solved for: Star Wars Battlefront II, Ashes of the Singularity, fixed mesh shaders in Unreal Engine 5, fixes for some Xenia bugs (xbox 360 emulator), Armored Core VI, Age of Wonders 4, Starfield, Halo Infinite, Street Fighter 6, Resident Evil 4, Monster Hunter Rise and others.
Some of the other stuff included:
- Support Root Signature version 1.2
- Implement Shader Model 6.7
- Includes all SM 6.7 features like AdvancedTextureOps, WaveOpsIncludeHelperLanes
- Caveat: Technically not Vulkan spec compliant implementation, but works fine on at least NV and RADV. Currently implemented as an opt-in option for now in case some game relies on it to work
- Implement CreateSampler2
- Expose inverted viewport / height feature
- Implement RelaxedFormatCasting feature from Enhanced Barriers
- Implement support for adjacency topologies
- Support A8_UNORM format properly by using
VK_KHR_maintenance5, allowing A8_UNORM UAVs to work correctly
- Handle range checked index buffers correctly with
New extension use
- Batch acceleration structure builds. Massively improves build performance on at least RADV.
- Massively improve ExecuteIndirect performance when using COMPUTE + root parameter changes when
From what I've been told, this update for VKD3D-Proton is already in Proton Experimental as of the recent update from September 7th.
See the VKD3D-Proton release notes here.