Tropico 6 from Realmforge Studios and Kalypso Media just had a nice upgrade that gives official modding support, with mod.io integration. Interesting to see more games go for mod.io (from the Mod DB crew), which gives the same access to modding across all platforms and stores whereas the Steam Workshop is of course locked to Steam.
Nice to see, since modding support can expand the life of a game nearly forever, and we've seen truly amazing mods for other games and Tropico 6 seems like a great fit to have it. Some of the things you can do with mods:
- Create your own maps - Get ready to create your own maps based on existing or randomly generated ones.
- The whole world at your fingertips - Modify, tweak or replace every asset in the game. Or create your own.
- All the debug-tools you need - Access to all debug modes that the developers are using.
- It's in the blueprints - Use Unreal Blueprints to add gameplay or new UI elements.
They have various videos on YouTube going over how to do the modding.
Additionally a new "Going Viral" DLC is planned to launch on October 12th.
Going Viral DLC Features:
- Find the cure, with Tropico 6 – Going Viral: 4 different diseases hit Tropico and disrupt daily life; some may severely harm your citizens, others may be just a mild cough *cough*.
- Pull the strings & keep control in a 4 mission-campaign or fight the diseases on a new multiplayer map.
- Stay calm… or don’t! Influence the masses with the new “Panic” mechanic. The panic meter measures how the Tropican citizens feel about the diseases. High panic allows for more powerful edicts to be enacted. Should you raise the alarm in order to exploit the situation with powerful edicts, or keep the population calm in the face of a potentially deadly threat?
- Inject first, ask later: A host of 16 exciting new edicts will be unlocked as your panic meter rises and will give you different ways in which to exploit the disease in Tropico: Inject first, ask questions later, mandate masks, or choose to gear up for a viral palace party, it’s all up to you, El Presidente!
- Managing the disease: 9 new buildings will change the way you manage Tropico and how you deal with outbreaks and diseases. Use the Healing Howitzer to speedily distribute the cure to your Tropicans or build the new Colossal Hospital to increase your medical capacities and place Medical Checkpoints on the streets to find infected people.
In addition, during the campaign a curious quack will also help you manage the disease in Ambrosius’ Magic Hut.
- Fight the plague in style with new design options for El Presidente & the palace! With new accessories like the plague doctor for El Presidente or the Medical Fencing for your palace, you'll be perfectly prepared.