Clear your plans for the weekend, as Proton 8.0-4 is now officially available bringing improved game support for Steam Deck and normal desktop Linux. Here's all the latest on what's changed.
First up, these titles Valve said were previously only playable with Proton Experimental:
- Arthurian Legends
- CHAOS CODE -NEW SIGN OF CATSTROPHE-
- EverQuest 2
- Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
- Songs for a Hero - Definitive Edition
- STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic II
- The Longest Journey
Valve also continue to fix up regressions from the Proton 8 release including:
- A race condition that caused controller hotplug to not work reliably is fixed.
- Have a Nice Death no longer crashes on launch.
- Using re4_tweaks no longer breaks mouse support in Resident Evil 4 (2005).
- Makai Kingdom: Reclaimed and Rebound is playable again.
- Echo (751320) works again on Steam Deck.
- Debug console in Scrap Mechanic is no longer broken.
Lots and lots and bug fixes included:
- Fixed Overwatch 2 stopping to register controller inputs after an online match has started.
- Fixed Battle.net always trying to update itself.
- Fixed EA Desktop having a blank log-in window after its recent update.
- Fixed an issue with EA Desktop sometimes not launching after an update.
- Fixed Baldur's Gate 3 launcher sometimes displaying dxdiag error dialog.
- Fixed Street Fighter 6 claiming that Proton players are always connected via wired interface.
- Fixed periodic stuttering in Street Fighter 6 when playing without internet for a longer time.
- Fixed Garry's Mod, Dark Souls II, Aura: Fate of the Ages and Train Simulator not working on certain setups using very long library paths.
- Fixed videos in Empyrion - Galactic Survival not working on certain setups.
- Fixed flipped videos in Secret of Mana.
- Fixed Aura: Fate of the Ages missing some audio cues.
- Fixed Dwarf Fortress SDL2 beta crashing on launch.
- Fixed some Unreal Engine 4 games (e.g. Stray, System Shock (2023), Dead By Daylight and Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun) crashing with Intel GPUs.
- Fixed Final Fantasy XIII having broken input after main window loses focus.
- Fixed Locoland not allowing to select resolution on Steam Deck in desktop mode.
- Fixed Rainbow Six Extraction not working on the Steam Deck.
- Fixed Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation DirectX 12 mode not working.
- Fixed Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition failing to launch after a recent game update.
- Fixed Age of Empires IV crashing when locale is set to Traditional/Simplified Chinese.
- Fixed Age of Wonders 4's Paradox Launcher not working on Nvidia GPUs.
- Fixed games crashing when dragging files / images over a game window.
- Fixed Ubisoft Connect not working after its recent update.
- Fixed not being able to interact with minimum requirements prompt in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition.
- Fixed Ship of Fools crashing when another player joins online session.
- Fixed controller input in Mamashroom and The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales.
- Fixed not working credits in Dark Parables: The Exiled Prince Collector's Edition.
You will also find that NVIDIA NVAPI has now been enabled for these titles:
- Alone in the Dark
- Atomic Heart
- Baldur's Gate 3
- Doge Simulator
- Layers of Fear
- Portal Prelude RTX
- Rainbow Six Extraction
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Remnant 2
- Severed Steel
- Sherlock Holmes The Awakened
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Strayed Lights
- Warhammer 40,000: Darktide
And then there's the miscellaneous updates to the software included in Proton that makes it actually do its thing:
- Updated Wine-Mono to 8.0.1.
- Updated vkd3d-proton to v2.10.
- Updated dxvk to to v2.3-5-g83dc4678.
- Updated dxvk-nvapi to v0.6.4.
- Updated vkd3d (shader compiler) to include recent upstream improvements.
- Added support for Steamworks SDK 1.58.
It will just show up in your Steam Downloads as an update for Proton 8, as Proton updates just like games do, so keep an eye out for it. Want more info about Steam Play and Proton? Check out my beginner's guide.
What's your favourite part of the update? Are you still waiting on a specific fix? Let me know in the comments.